Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"I am not a slave, Henry." I whispered, holding my ground. 

He stopped dead in his tracks, not even turning to look at me, "What did you say?" 

"You heard me, Henry, I am not a slave. To  you, to anyone." I spoke louder this time, watching his body shift as he turned toward me. 

"Well, then I better teach you how to be one." He hovered in my face, raising his hand, slapping me hard, repeating it three times, "Now that should remind you not to talk back to me. I will kill you, if you do that again. Remember my warnings, Camille, it will cause you less pain." I touched my face, feeling the blood from my lip. "Oh, my sweet, you need to get home and rest, so you stop fainting like that." He touched my face, drilling the new story into me. I nodded, as he carried me out of the building, sitting me at the door, "Walk."

"Camille?" My mother looked at my face, touching it. 

"I fell, I fainted. But Mr. Calston got me something to drink from the back well and I feel much better now." 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes, mother. I wish to speak to Aiden now." I smiled walking toward my brother, as Calston and my mother spoke. 

"Kitten!" He extended his arms toward me, hugging me tightly. 

"Hello, Aiden, Olivia." I nodded to both of them, and Olivia pulled me into a hug. 

"I am so happy you are home, Camille. I know Aiden's been dying to tell you, the weeding will be in two weeks. It's sudden, but my father wants to do it before they ship out for a coastal search." 

"I am so happy for both of you." I hugged Aiden again, listening to Olivia talk of the arrangements. I could see Lucas and Serena, speaking close together, and very fast. She looked over, glaring at me. I looked away, toward Sebastian, who was watching me carefully. I looked away again. 

"Camille!" I heard my mother's voice raise, and I spun around. The chest's with father's marking now lay in front of us locked. "What is this?"

"A surprise from father... As soon as I find the key, mother." I wasn't going to explain it all here in front of everyone. Mr. Madison's face lit up and he looked over at me. "Lucas and Sebastain have some too." 

"Well, that's odd." My mother kneeled in front of the chest touching father's symbol. I could see the pain in her face. I never realized till that moment how hard his death was for my mother. I walked over, and opened the chest with my clothes in it. I moved the sword and Sebastian's book, pulling out the small wodden box. "What's that?" She reached for it, and I allowed her to open it. When she touched the small ivory ship she cried a bit, looking at me, "Is that his ship?" 

I nodded, "A perfect replica, the wreck and everything." I pointed out small details to her, and she laughed, remembering the moments we spent with him on it. Mr. Madison laughed, looking at it. 

"He spoke of having one made, he said that way one day she would go down, and he would still have her." 

After those moments passed, Aiden and Olivia left to meet with her family. I watched Calston pace around everyone, as Sebastian walked toward me. "Goodbye, Miss. Braxton. I will see you very soon." He bowed, kissing my hand. 

"Goodbye, Mr.Lowry." I smiled and he left with his father. Calston approched me, "Are you leaving to, Mr. Calston?" 

"Yes, I need to be getting some buisness done." He looked into my eyes, "I will come see you tomorrow," He kissed my cheek, and gripped my wrists. 

"Goodbye, Mr. Calston." I grinded my teeth, as he released leaving now my mother, Mr. Madison, Serena and Lucas. 

I watched as Serena took her leave as well, watching me closely as she did it. "We better go, Camille." My mother turned to me, and took my hand. 

"Is it fine if Camille, stays with me for a moment so she can show me the paperwork?" 

"No, Burt?" My mother looked at him furiously. 

"I would like to have it done, so she make focus on Aiden's wedding." My mother nodded, "I will bring her home as soon as we are finished, would you take Lucas on home to the estate?" 

"Yes." My mother waved goodbye, and Lucas watched me carefully as I entered the trading company. 

I waited till Mr. Madison was in the room, then I stopped looking at him, "What is that you need to know?"

"Nothing yet, but I do think we need to talk about something." He led me into my father's office, which hadn't been touched since he left for his last trip. 

"Why are we in here?" I looked at him, and crossed my arms. Feeling out of place among the dust and cobwebs. 

"Those chest you spoke about, I may know where the last thing is at for you?" 

"Where?" I practically yelled at it, feeling excitment rush through my body as I looked him in the eye. 

He hesitated looking around, and then finally looked at me, in a hushed and rushed voice he said, "In this office." 

I looked at him, and began to look around, and I remembered a note he wrote me. UNDER the stairs, UNDER the moon, UNDER God, UNDER law, just remember, Camille, you will always be UNDER something else, like a cobweb UNDER a desk. I felt my body fly to the floor, as I touched under the desk, moving a false piece of board, and grabbing a velvet bag from inside with a letter, and looking at Mr. Madison with wide eyes.