Chapter Eight

*Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave*

I laid in my bed, looking at my ceiling. It was well past midnight, and I couldn’t hear anything except the wind outside. I sat up pulling my legs to my chest, clutching at my nightgown. 

As I sat there I heard a click against the window. I jumped out of bed, grabbing my robe, pulling it around my body. I pulled the candle from my nightstand shinning at the window, I could see a figure at the base of the wall. I popped open the window, “Camille?” It was Lucas’s voice that came into my ears. 

“What are you doing here?” I leaned over the seal looking at his shadow.

“We need to talk.” 

“I will be right down.” I grabbed the candle, and rushed down the stairs, quiet enough so no one would hear me. Opening the oak door, without making a sound, was harder then expected. I shut it behind me. “Where are you, Lucas?”

“Right here.” Lucas appeared by the stone steps, still wearing his day cloths. 

“What did you need to speak of?” I looked at him, pulling my robe tighter around my body, covering exposed skin.

“This letter.” He pulled out my fathers letter and handed back to me. 

I grabbed it , slgihtly brushing his hand, and I pulled myself back. “What about it?”

“I know what your father speaks of, I believe at least.” I raised an eyebrow, looking at him through the candlelight reflection, “The protecting me part.”

“I told you, I had obligations. That being betrothed to Serena. I never wanted this for myself. It is what everyone else wanted. But my father said it would help trade. Same with the marriage of Rose. I think that is what I believe he meant. But the rest is riddle to me.” 

“I know, that part was most likely what he was speaking with. But in all honesty, I knew what he meant about London’s society to be more true then not, the fact that we are nothing but living in a secret of lies. But to me, it is riddles as well.” I looked at him, and found a glimpse of courage, “Was my father right?” 

“What do you mean?” He raised an eyebrow but figured out what I was saying, and his face fell, “Yes, he is correct. And it will always be correct.” 

“But Serena.” 

“I do, have feelings of compassion for Serena, but as a friend, a partner.” He reached for my hand, and I retracted a little, before giving into him, letting my hands fall into his, “But nothing that I feel when I look at you, Camille. I have been in love with you from the day you were born. I can’t explain how I knew then, when we would run and play, but nothing made me happier then pretending one day we would be married. I love you, Camille. You will always be my love. My one, the thing that I could never say goodbye to. You are a wonderful gift, in my life. And the fact, to protect whatever your father is talking about, I have to marry someone else, is something that has kept me up at night, with countless nightmares, with countless letters on how to explain to you, what is going on, my obligation.” He brushed his fingers against my skin and I could feel cold chills moving down my back.

“I..I am at a loss of words,” I looked at our now interlocked fingers. I tried to catch myself before the tears before they fell down my cheeks. “If you mean what you say, then I should be honest to, while trying to figure out this message, this secret my father holds. I remembered my love for you, but in the truth, I cannot love you, Lucas....” His face looked shocked, “I do, but I can’t. You are betrothed to someone, other then me, and I have made a promise to my father, as ridiculous as that sounds, I must find out what is going on, before we are hurt, before our families are hurt. I hope you will aide me in this, but understand that my love is in my heart, but cannot be shown.” I went to pull my hands away, and he grabbed me, and pulled me in. I caught my breathe, before his lips fell on mine. I resisted before falling into his kiss deeper, wrapping my arms around him. 

As the kiss ended, I felt my tears falling from the corner of my eyes. I pushed him back, “Leave.” I grabbed my nightgown pulling it up as I ran inside my house, shutting the door, before falling to the ground, “I love you Lucas...”