Chapter Five

I sat at the top of the stairs, playing with my hands. The dinner party started in exactly thirty minutes, and all I could see was the notes from my father’s library bouncing inside my head. The notes of his trading routes, large X’s across some of the trading ports, and little notes about what these people wanted in exchange for his life. I twisted my fingers on my lap, gathering pieces of my dress in them. “Camille!” I spun my head around to meet the eyes of my mother.

                “Yes?” I knew what was about to come out of her mouth, before the words even made a sound.

                “Why are you sitting on the stairs, you will get your dress dirty! And our guests will be here shortly.” She let her hands fall to her hips as she stared me down.

                “I know, mother, I was just thinking about what happened the last few times Lucas and I were in the same room, for more than 5 seconds.” I let the memory of my coming of age party come into my mind, along with the idea of the trading house.

                “Yes, I know, darling, but Serena won’t be here, and the Madison’s have been close to us for many years,” My mother let her arms fall, before extending a hand toward me, “Please get off the stairs, and go find your brother, I think he is out by the stables.”

                “Okay, I will.” I stood up, dusting off my dress, and then raced down the stairs and out the door before my mother could say another word about Lucas. I could feel the slight breezing come in, and I heard the trees rushing from it. I hadn’t let myself enjoy our grounds since I had arrived back home. But I remembered how much I use to adore climbing the trees and spending every moment out here, with my father. I could see Aiden sitting against a tree, with his mind deep in thought.

                “And I thought I was the only one who use to do this.” I smiled at him, and slowed my pace standing over him.

                “Just preparing myself for mother’s dinner.” He smiled at me, standing up.

                “You will do fine, Olivia is taken with you, and her father, already admires you as a man.” I patted his arm, and smiled, “And anyway, I have complete faith in you, Aiden.”

                “Camille, you always have been there for me. Thank you, for being my sister.” I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his waist.

                “Thank you for being my brother.” It was the most intamite moment we shared since our father’s death. When father died, I was shipped to boarding school, and he choose to enter the royal guard. It wasn’t an easy choice for him, giving up his dream to sail the seas, and see things that my father would tell us about, but he knew it would be easier and provided more comfort toward our mother. But the day he left, I wouldn’t speak to him, I felt like he was abandoning me to, but as the years rolled on during my time at school, we would write one another and the bridge was mended.

                “Come on, let’s get back to the house, because I suspect mother sent you out here, to fetch me?”

                “Yes she did.” I linked my arm through his and we began our way up to the house. I could see a carriage approaching from the distance, and a knot in my stomach told me who it was. “Is that the Madisons’?

“I believe so, and I am guessing the carriage behind them belongs to the Drexton’s.” I had completely forgot that Darius and Rose were coming to this together.

                I nodded as we continued up the path to our house, I could see the carriage coming clearly into view, and my mother stood on the front steps waiting to greet everyone, “Children, come on.” She waved for us to join her on the top step and I felt every ounce of me, wanting to just collapse and die.