Chapter 8

"Dean?" came a hoarse voice from the passenger seat. "Where are we?"

"Don't worry about that right now, Cas," Dean replied. "Just sleep."

Soon after that, there was light snore occasionally coming from the direction of Cas. Dean pulled into Cas' driveway about a half hour later, and paused before waking him up to just look at him. Sure, Dean had seen him almost every day of the school year for the past four years, but had never really looked at him. But, right now, all Dean knew was that Cas looked hella cute sleeping. He was almost scared to take him into the house where he knew Cas' own father had beat Cas and maybe even Gabe or their older sister Anna.

Dean knew he had to do the right thing and wake him up so he could tell his dad that Gabe was gone. Dean was sad, sure, but he had never really known the kid. He was sure he would go to the funeral - assuming they actually had one - to comfort Sam and Cas and maybe to mourn a little bit. Gabriel had been a good kid, even though sometimes he was a little shit. He almost always had some sweet sticking out of his mouth and was always playing pranks on everyone. He and Sam had been the best of friends since they were in seventh grade, and when Dean and Cas had been sophmores. That was an interesting time for Dean. 

He was basically like any awkward high schooler: a face full of zits, unsure what to do with yourself when things got complicated, and in love with any and every girl. That was the thing about Dean, though. He just wasn't into girls like that. Dean wasn't sure if he was gay, or just what most would call a late bloomer. But, on that first day back from Christmas vacation, when he saw Castiel, sitting in his usual spot in homeroom, reading a book like usual, and not listening to the morning announcements.

Dean knew from that moment on, that he was in love with Castiel Novak.

------------------------------***********************-------------------------------------------**************************

(A/N. Sorry I'm skipping ahead a little bit)

It had been around 4 months since Gabriel's funeral. The funeral was normal enough; Cas made a speech, his father was sober and in a suit, and Anna was home from Nebraska.

Dean and Cas had been spending more and more time at Dean's house. Dean had gotten a job at Harvelle's garage. He and Jo Harvelle had been friends for a long time. Dean always found it kind of odd that Jo's mother owned a garage, but she sure knew what the hell she was doing.

John was still gone, the longest he had ever been gone before: almost 6 months. Sam was getting pretty good grades and had made some other friends but didn't talk to them or hang out with them much, usually only Dean and Cas.

Dean still hadn't told Castiel that he loved him yet. They hadn't even kissed since that night they found out about the crash. After Gabe's death, Cas didn't talk much to anyone, even Dean. He didn't go home often, his grades had been slipping, and he started to look sadder and sadder every day. Though Dean knew he probably should, he didn't talk to Cas about it.

Days would go by without them saying much of anything. Usually just watching TV, a movie, nd sometimes - on good days - they would bake cookies. On this particular day, Cas seemed to be feeling unusually happy and threw a pinch of flour at Dean when he had his back turned.

"What the hell, Cas?" Dean said as he turned around, feeling ready to throw punches if it wouldn't have been Cas. Cas burst out laughing and threw more at Dean.

"I.... Dean, your face... oh my - WHAT THE FUCK?" Cas yelled when Dean threw some flour back at him. Soon, it turned into an all-out flour war between the two boys. The white powder was clouding the air, and the room was filled with the sounds of the boys' laughter.

"Cas... I... your hair!" Dean laughed, clutching his stomach. 

"Dean, your face is absolutely covered with flour... and wow the flour really make your eyes pop!" Cas replied sarcastically. 

Dean, back to seriousness, looked Cas in the eyes. He found it difficult to stare too long into the startlingly blue his eyes held. It took all of his being to not lean forward and kiss him right then and there. Dean knew how much pain the dark-haired boy had gone through, how much Cas had wanted to die, just so he could be with Gabriel and escape his father. Dean had gone through enough pain to last a person a lifetime. 

Once his mother had died in a car fire when Dean was 10, John had begun to drink more and more. It wasn't like Dean hadn't seen a drunk John before, but John had never been like he was now. John got violent when he was drunk, he had beat Dean and tried to beat Sammy, but Dean held him off. Soon, after he realized he couldn't win, John began to go for these "drives". He could be gone for days at a time. Dean had to learn how to support himself and a once hyperactive human-puppy hybrid. So, he got a job at Harvelle's and started buying foor for Sam. Dean really only ate at school, and the occasional meal at dinner time on the weekends. Tears began to sting at the back of his eyes when he though of his mother. 

Cas tilted his head and squinted, his signature look. "Dean? Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Uh... yeah, yeah it's all good," Dean replied, shaking his head to clear it. "Cas, I need to tell you something."

"Shoot," Cas said.

Dean was finally going to do it. He would tell Cas he loved him.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
A/N
Sorry this chapter is so short, I'm going to be gone all next week for a deer hunting trip but I wanted to update before I left. Hope y'all like it so far!!! I think I'm going to have to end it soon maybe in 2 or 3 more chapters. I really want to get moving on my other story (you guys should read that one too). Luv u all :)