Snow Days

*The Next Morning*

I shuffle into the kitchen to see my mother sipping coffee as she scrolls through news on her phone, and my sister is leaning against the counter near the toaster with a glass of milk in her hand. The radio is on as the man goes through cancelations.

"Morning," I yawn, grabbing the box of frosted flakes and shuffling over to be next to Ashlyn as I make my bowl of cereal. "Have they said our school yet?"

"Cancelled," Ashlyn sleepily grins.

"South Park has received two feet of snow, a low for the mountain town," the radio weather man says. "All schools and most businesses are cancelled for the day, and possibly the rest of the week. Roads should start to be plowed soon, but more snow is no doubt on the way."

"Two feet in one night, that's crazy," I smile. "I can't even remember the last time I saw that much snow."

"Well, guess I'm not going into work," my mom takes a slow sip of her coffee. "Your father will be trapped in the city until this gets better."

"Rosa, Karen and Kenny have to come over," Ashlyn gently tugs at my winter nightgown sleeve. "I'm sure that Kenny can get them over here safe and fast."

"I know," I pull my arm out of her grasp. "I'll go call Kenny right now if you make me a hot chocolate."

"Go, go," she gives me a shove.

I walk out of the kitchen and head to my room, catching a glimpse of the outside. Snow covers everything in a perfect blanket of snow. To think it all fell last night is hard to wrap my head around.

I enter my room, going straight to my phone and calling Kenny. I can only guess that I will wake him up with this call, seeing as Karen wakes him up on days he has to go to school.

"Princess?" Kenny answers on the second ring; his voice husky with sleep.

"Kenneth, you and Karen need to get your asses over here right now," I flop onto a beanbag. "There's two feet of snow outside! And it's like below zero, and Ash and I want you to be over here."

"And what are we going to do there? Do you just want me to come over so you can get kisses?"

"I mean, I do love your kisses," I run a hand over my hair. "But now, we are just gonna chill inside. Maybe play some video games. I'll let you watch me draw if you'd like. Tomorrow we can go ice skating or whatever when it's slightly warmer. I'm sure Stan will be texting before long to get everything in order."

"That sounds like the perfect way to spend the first snow day of this school year."

"I haven't seen snow in so many years, this would be amazing no matter what."

"Well, hope you like snow, we get a fuck ton of it."

I smile, "So you'll be over as soon as possible?"

"If we aren't there in twenty minutes, come looking for us."

"That isn't very funny," I pout.

"Aw, Princess, you are too cute," he chuckles. "I can just picture you pouting. We'll be over in twenty minutes for sure, so you don't worry. Will there be breakfast?"

"You two can have whatever you can find in our kitchen."

"Sounds great. I'll tell Karen and we can pack our bags."