Never Make A Promise 7

Start from the beginning

"Where's your dad?" he asked.

"That's really nice of your aunt," I said, referring to her bringing him out to talk to him.

"Why do you keep dodging the topic of your dad?" he asked. I looked at Joyce to hopefully get her attention and her help, but she was way too distracted. Wow, these guys must have been the best of friends in high school. "Hayley."

"Damon," I said. He looked into my eyes and I looked away.

"What happened with your dad?" he asked.

"Oh my god, I don't think I could laugh anymore. Oh, look at the time! We better get out of here," Joyce exclaimed. I exhaled. About time she came in and saved me.

"We better get going too, Damon. Your dad's probably wondering where you are," Michelle said.

"Yeah I can tell by the many times he's called," Damon mumbled. His aunt shook her head and stood up.

"It was nice seeing you two again," she smiled. Joyce and Chris stood up too.

"Great seeing you again too, Michelle," Joyce said, hugging her.

"We need to do this again sometime," Chris said.

"Most definitely," Michelle said. The three of them exchanged numbers and said their goodbyes. I stood up while they were, turned, and nearly fell backward from bumping into Damon. He grabbed my upper arms and steadied me.

"I'll talk to you later, then," he said, hanging on longer than he should have. Not that I didn't like it......you know what, scratch that, I just wanted to get out of there.

"I promise I will-" Joyce began. I looked away. The one saying I hated most. Damon gave me a curious look. I didn't realize Joyce was giving me nervous side glances before she continued. "I'll call," she smiled. Chris and Michelle both looked at me curiously before Michelle smiled again and nodded at Joyce.

"Alright then, see you later. Nice meeting you, Hayley!" Michelle called to me.

"Yeah you too!" I returned.

"See you later," Damon mumbled, letting me go and leaving with his aunt. I turned and looked at Joyce and Chris.

"Let's go Hayley," Joyce said, holding her hand out to me. I walked toward her and she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry about that," she mumbled to me.

"Don't worry about it," I mumbled back. She squeezed my shoulder and smiled. She, Chris, and I walked out to the car and drove back home in silence. Joyce showed Chris to the guest room, which was right next to her room. They looked at each other for a while and said good night at least a thousand times before they finally went into their rooms. Wonder what's going to happen between those two. If Chris didn't make a move, I was going to have to help him out. I entered my room, changed into pajamas and plopped face-down on my bed. I wanted to sleep, but not being tired was preventing me from doing so. Giving up, I turned my bedside lamp on and began reading Pride and Prejudice. I just got to the part where Elizabeth met Mr. Darcy for the first time and what her impression of him was. Why did Damon come to mind when he was being described? Maybe because they were both arrogant as ever. Remember how the story ends, I thought. Remember how some love stories begin. No, this wasn't a love story. Damon was annoying, arrogant, nosy, cocky, and....and that's how all these guys were in the beginning. That's how all the girls saw them, but ended up falling head over heels for themm anyway. Elizabeth did with Darcy, Bella did with Edward, Rose and Jack at first and it happened a lot in movies. Would that be how Damon and I end up? No Hayley, I thought. He would almost definitely use the 'p' word with you and I don't want that. He would........'p' word to stay with me, then we would leave me and break that 'p' word. All 'p' words were. It's like that saying "rules were meant to be broken." Well, with me, promises were meant to be broken.