Chapter 18: The Curse Was Broken

With his declaration, Alex released his last breath. 

Christian wept. Every tear that fell to the ground melted the snow.

The curse was broken.

The mob left Tian and his love. He didn't even notice. The grief was unbearable, it smothered him, crawled down his throat. It wrapped around his heart. It choked him.

The forest returned to its former glory around them. Trees grew leaves of jade, grass and  flowers sprouted and created a carpet of life.

But it was wasted on Tian.

He would suffer a hundred more winters, if it meant he could have Alex back. 

A young girl entered the clearing unnoticed by the grieving boy. Her fiery orange hair was left mostly down to her waist, but some was braided- weaved into intricate patterns around her head. Her warm walnut skin seemed to shimmer slightly in the gentle sun. She wore a white dress that floatBut her eyes.

Her eyes.

A soft shade of green, reflecting the newfound vitality of the forest around her, shone with a misery. The light that usually danced in them had dimmed. She knelt in front of the pair, causing Tian to look up at her.

"It was love all along. Love is what thaws a frozen heart." She said softly.

"Yes. I just wanted somebody to love me, I was just so angry and lonely. My entire life I had been feared or hated or both. But Alex- Alex just loved me. I could see it in his eyes, even when he saw me, my power. He still loved me."

"You have taught me much little snow prince. Love is a strange magic, far stronger than you or I. Perhaps I know others who could do with such a thing." The little girl stood in contemplation. A gleam in her eye that seemed further beyond her youthful appearance. "Very well, I so do hate unhappy endings."

"what?" exclaimed Christian, his eyes wide.

The girl's eyes began to glow with a strange golden light. Christian felt Alex's body warm beneath his fingers, when he looked down he saw that Alex's skin had the same glow of the girl's eyes.

Then the light was gone. Alex's eyes fluttered open. "Hey handsome." He said weakly with a small cheeky grin. Christian was in shock for a moment before clutching him close.

"Never do something so stupid again."

"I'll try."

"Thank you. How can we repay you." Christian asked the girl.

"You are in my debt. I shall ask you to do things, you may find then difficult at times. But I hope you remember that this was the most difficult thing to endure."

"we promise."