Chapter 5: Some Qualms

Although his day was busy, Alex couldn't forget the flower the little girl had left him. Between the excitement of the city, the success at market and the worry over the strange girl; Alex was left exhausted when he sold his last wooden figure. He wanted to get home. Abandoning hi plan to stay another night, Alex told Paul he would write to him soon about further arrangements of business.

"But, lad, it's late and the snow has only been known to get worse. Stay. At an inn or somewhere and head off tomorrow instead."

"No, no. There is nothing more I wish right now but to sleep in my own bed. I will catch a lift home- which will be much easier with some coins in my pocket. I will write to you in a few days."

"Very well," Paul sighed. He was apprehensive, but he was not the boy's guardian. He couldn't force the boy to stay. "Have a safe journey home, I look forward to your letter."

Alex went in search of a cart and driver. He found a man going the same direction as him and was willing to give a ride for free. His name was Mr Dale, a portly man with a ruddy face but free services. The horse looked sturdy and the horse reliable, so Alex had no qualms about it.

He should have had some qualms about it.

They could not have traveled more than an hour or two into the thick snow coated woods when disaster struck. A wheel started to come loose on the cart. Mr Dale stopped the horse and tended to the wheel. When Alex also jumped down to help, Mr Dale waved him off with a jovial. "Go stretch yer legs lad. We has a bit of a journey ahead, so best go an' wonder fer a bit." Alex felt that with the day's events, maybe, a walk would do him good.

It did not do him good.

Alex had only ambled through the trees for  few minutes, before coming back to an empty clearing. Although there was light snowfall, it wasn't heavy enough to cover the fresh wheel tracks. By accident or not, Mr Dale had left him in the woods. Alone. To fend for himself. Alex realised that his bag was still on the cart, though his money had not left his pocket. He had been in such a rush to leave the city, he hadn't the thought to secure his money in his bag. The damned fool had meant to rob him. But instead of making a pretty penny, all Mr Dale had done was make off with some laundry and to make Alex angry.

"Fine. I'll walk home them." Huffed Alex, his breath making little clouds in the air before him. Why a curse of eternal winter? Why not a curse of summer? Or a really nice temperature that was warm, but also good for walking in? Putting one foot in front of the other, Alex started to trudge his way back home.