Chapter Six

Johnny's POV

Lauren walks into my room, wordlessly handing me the posters. I glance at them, shaking my head, "Why's Annie still listed as a performer? She's not coming." Lauren shrugs before softly saying, "They're trying everything they can to convince her to rejoin." She sighs, "She's hurting, John. She's upset with me and you, but Jayden hurt her worse than what we did." I look away, "I miss the days when we all got along." Lauren smiles sadly, "Me too. It's hard to believe that you and Annie and I were all friends when were little." She laughs, "I mean you and Annie even had a fake wedding." I gasp, "Lauren!" Tears run down her face, she's laughing so hard, "It was awesome! I think mom still has pictures!" She gasping for breath, she's laughing so hard.
I cross my arms, "Hey, I was only seven. She was six." Lauren's still laughing as she says, "I was the maid of honor and Darian was the one who married you guys." I shake my head, "Maddie was in charge of finding outfits." I smile, shaking my head, "I'd forgotten about that." Lauren giggles, "How could you forget about your wife?" I throw a pillow at her, "Lauren, shut up!" She shakes her head, "Hey, admit it, it's funny. It's also kinda adorable."
I shrug, "It was then, but now? She won't even look at me. It's my fault though." I whisper the last part, because I don't want Lauren to hear it. Lauren sighs, "Yeah, well, can you blame her?" I shake my head, "Not really."

Flashback

Annie and Johnny has grown up together, living next door to one another. They'd spend hours, sometimes even days, discussing their futures and what they'd do. Plans on how they would make it big. Johnny and Annie were closer than close, they were best friends. Even at their worst, they were better than most. They were best friends.
Annie and Johnny were hanging out at the park, sitting on the swings. Johnny was eleven and Annie ten. "So, you guys are moving to L.A?" Annie asked. Johnny nodded, "Yeah! Dad and mom said it'll be full of good opportunities." Annie half smiled, "I'm happy for you." Johnny smiled back, "Me too." Annie looked away, "You guys aren't coming back, right?" Johnny shook his head, "No...but I'm sure you can visit."
Annie jumped off her swing and hugged Johnny, "I'll miss you." She whispered. He hugged her back, before holding out his hand, "Best friends forever?" She laughed and they did their secret handshake. The following week, the Orlandos moved to L.A.

Annie was now thirteen. Her gymnastics career and family's YouTube channel had taken off, so her family had moved to L.A. Annie's roots were still in Maryland, and so was Caleb. She missed him everyday, the grief never quite wearing off.
Her parents had connected with the Orlando family, deciding to meet up with them. Annie had been overjoyed, because know she'd known someone in the this place full of strangers. She missed Sydney and Luke, Katie and her family.
When they'd met up, everyone in the Orlando family was there...except Johnny. Lauren and Annie had been happy to see each other, but Annie couldn't help but wonder where Johnny was. She asked Lauren who uncomfortably admitted, Johnny didn't want to come because he wanted to hang out with his friends instead. Annie had been hurt but she'd pretended she was okay. She spent her time catching up with Lauren, smiling and laughing.

A few weeks later, Annie and Johnny eventually met up. She had come over to the Orlando's house to hang out with Lauren. It was there she met Hayden. Lauren and Annie spent most of the time in Lauren's room, but eventually made their way downstairs.
Hayden and Johnny were downstairs playing video games. Annie ignored Johnny, walking right past him. He got up and followed her and Lauren into the kitchen. "Hey Annie." She ignored him, continuing her conversation with Lauren. "You're right, he is cute." Annie had said, giggling. "Who?" Johnny asked. Annie looked at him, "No one." Johnny frowned, "Are you talking about Hayden?" She shrugged, "Maybe."
As if on cue, Hayden walked into the kitchen. He'd smiled at Annie, "Hey, I'm Hayden." She smiled back, "Julianna Leblanc, but I prefer Annie." He kept smiling, "Are you new to L.A?" Annie nodded, "Yeah." He paused before asking, "You're part of 'Bratayley' family aren't you?" She smiled, "Yeah, I am." Hayden grinned, "That's so cool! I've seen some of your videos. You're a really good singer, we should collab sometime." She grinned back, "That would be awesome."
She held out her hand, "I can give you my number, if you want." Hayden handed her his phone, and she handed her phone to him.
Johnny cleared his throat, "Uh, Hayden...we should go finish the game." Hayden shrugged, "I guess." He glanced at Annie who smiled, "I'll text you." He smiled back, "Cool. See you around, Annie."

Hayden walked back into the living room but Johnny stayed behind. "What was that?" He asked Annie. She shrugged, "What? He was nice. Besides he seemed happy I was in L.A, unlike you." He crossed his arms, "It's not that I'm not happy, Annie." She frowned, "Then what is it?" He sighed, "Things have changed Annie. I have new friends and a career now!" She shook her head, "So, that's it? You don't want to be friends?" He shrugged, "I mean, well, it's just-it's complicated!" She glared at him, "Save it Johnny. You're right, things have changed. You've changed and I definitely don't want to be friends with you, if you're going to act like this."
"Annie wait-" She walked past him and into the living room. Lauren glared at him, "Look, what you did! You're so mean, Johnny!" She joined Annie in the living room. Johnny could hear her and Annie talking. "Anns, please don't go!" Lauren begged. "I don't want to but I really don't want to be around him. I call you when I get home." Annie paused, "I'm sorry, Lauren." Lauren said something, but Johnny couldn't hear it. "It was nice meeting you, Hayden. I'll text you later. Bye Lauren." Then the door open and closed, letting Johnny know, Annie was gone.
He walked into the living room and Lauren glared at him. "I hate you!" She yelled at him, storming upstairs. "You ruin everything!" Lauren angrily yelled from upstairs. Johnny sighed and sat down next to Hayden. Hayden looked at him, "What did you do now?" Johnny sighed, "I ruined everything with Annie. We used to live next to each other when we were little. We were friends. I just ruined whatever we had left." Hayden shook his head, "Bro, she seemed nice, she'll probably forgive you if you apologized." Johnny shook his head, "What I said, what I did, is pretty unforgivable."

A few months later Hayden and Annie started dating. Johnny and Annie made up, but things were never the same. They never would be. There would always be a space between them, one Johnny had made, and one Annie refused to allow to be fixed. She didn't want to be hurt again. When Hayden and Annie broke up, Johnny and Annie stopped hanging out. It was almost a relief for them, because it meant they could stop pretending things were ok.
Johnny tried fixing things but eventually gave up. Annie would never admit it, but she missed him. She'd never show it because she'd moved on, found new friends...but deep down? She missed him. She'd been missing him deep down.

++++++++++
Did anyone see what I did there? She'd been missing him deep down....
Anyway, didn't see that one coming did you? Annie and Johnny were friends? Even before Annie and Hayden started dating! Well, it wasn't something either one of them wanted to admit...or remember. They'd been closer than closer, but now? It was over. She'd moved on from their small town, hanging out a new crowd..but she'd been missing him deep down...
Ok, ok, I'll stop! But anyway there's more to come, this was a bit of a filler but also background on Johnny and Annie. Also, I love the idea of little Annie and little John being friend and having a fake wedding. I can totally see it! :)
Xo, Brin ♥︎