Chapter Twenty-Four

Începe de la început

Even now as he stared into her eyes and caressed her cheek in his hand, Juliet could see he cared but wasn't so bold as to say he loved her. Would he tell her how he felt if she shared her thoughts first? Even if it wasn't what she wanted to hear, surely it would be better for her to distance herself from impure intentions? 

"Vincent, I-"

The knock on the door startled them both out of their romantic stupor, with Juliet scrambling to stand and Vincent all but shoving her off before LuLu came marching in the room. When the woman did enter, she was suspicious of Juliet's wandering gaze and Vincent's all too innocent stare. The older woman narrowed her eyes but did not comment on their behavior.

"Miss Chambers, the tailor is here to work on your wardrobe." Juliet nodded eagerly but sent a hesitant look to Vicent. The man raised an eyebrow and gestured with his head for her to go on. She never needed his permission for anything before, so he couldn't understand why she needed it now. "He's down in the drawing-room, I'll join you in a moment."

"Thank you, LuLu." Juliet sent her bright smile towards the woman before disappearing out the door and down the hall. When the pair was sure the girl was out of hearing range the questions began.

"Did you promise him more pay so long as he doesn't spread rumors in the town?" Vincent pushed his invitation list aside as he spoke, waiting for LuLu to seat herself comfortably in front of him before he continued. 

"Yes, yes all of that is taken care of. What I want to know is what you two were doing in here before I walked in." Vincent merely shrugged, letting the woman's imagination run wild before he gave her a clearer answer. It was more entertaining to let her thoughts wander for a minute first.

"Nothing too scandalous, I can assure you. Just going over the list of invites and other party related things." LuLu was a woman who's been on the earth long enough to know that Vincent left out more than half of the story, but she shook her head and knew better than to ask. It was probably best that she didn't know anyway.

"I best be on my way before the dresses get ordered," LuLu stood and gave one more sideways glance at Vincent before exiting silently. He was... different now. Calmer, composed, and even kind in some ways. It was refreshing and more than welcome in her mind, but the change was so sudden, unnatural even.

LuLu wasn't sure what Juliet did to Vincent, but she could only hope all that work didn't come undone. His balance was fresh and still fragile. He was a clay sculptor that hadn't finished drying. If one didn't keep an eye on him at all times then he may topple over and destroy everything he had become. 

"LuLu? What do you think of this color? Is it too dark?" The woman barely took two steps in the room before Juliet had her bombarded with questions. LuLu simply studied the fabric Juliet held against the girl's pale fingers.

"No, Miss. I think that's the perfect color. Dark and tempting," LuLu cackled at Juliet's darkened cheeks. The girl was innocent, but she wasn't stupid.

"Yes, I agree," She turned back to the seamstress, discussing what style dress to match the dark fabric. LuLu seated herself on a nearby chair, watching the young woman discuss something so trivial. It was odd for Juliet, but this change in wardrobe was important. It meant something to her.

"What color should I do my dressing robe?" Juliet glanced at all the fabrics set out before her, a finger tapping against her chin in thought. "I rather like my yellow one..."

"The green I think. Matches your eyes, miss." The seamstress was right, the fabric matched her eyes almost perfectly. Juliet smiled in return, thankful for the helpful tip. 

"Yes, I think so too." The two discussed their final plans for each dress before the seamstress took Juliet's measurements. It was a slow process, one that LuLu was quickly tiring of. After what felt like ages, the seamstress added up the total and handed the finished numbers to LuLu.

"I hope you don't mind my adding in the secrecy price. It isn't too much, just enough to feed my children for a week-"

"Think nothing of it, miss." LuLu led the woman down the stairs, careful to not let anyone hear their conversation. "I'll take the bill up to Master McCoy, he'll get the money to you soon."

The seamstress gave her a smile before disappearing out of the house and to her cart, carrying trunks of fabric for her customers to purchase. LuLu watched the woman trot her horses off of the property and down the dirt path.  Once the woman was gone she dared to take a glance at the total, letting out a quiet whistle.

"If I had that type of money I'd move to France and buy myself a bakery." Viola snorted nearby from where she was sweeping. The two women shared a look before laughing once more. After several moments of cheer, LuLu decided to get the bill back to Vincent before he lost his temper.