Chapter Nine

The days following Vincent's recovery were the most boring days of his life. There wasn't anyone to talk to - considering LuLu was still upset at him and Miss Chambers wanted nothing to do with him. From what he understood, the girl avoided his side of the house as much as possible.

This humored him, as well as disheartened him. He missed their little spats, her clever remarks, and the way she would smirk when he came up with a new insult. She was impossible to offend it seemed. It was a challenge he had come to enjoy. Juliet was the perfect match for his wit, but now he had scared her off with his stupid decision to kiss her.

He would lay in bed and stare at his ceiling, counting the cracks. Sometimes he would get out of bed and pace around the room until he was dizzy, only to sit in his velvet chair and stare into the garden, imaging the girl prancing around as she does every morning. Sometimes, he was even so bold as to wonder how she would react if he joined her.

He even began to get up early to watch her admire the flowers. How she could relish the same few plant species over and over again was beyond him. It was fascinating and aggravating all at once.

Of course, this did not mean he was falling in love. Nothing of the sort. LuLu was a crazy bat if she thought that Vincent McCoy would ever take a Southern woman as his bride. There were plenty more girls up North far more suited for his personality. Women who were smarter, better educated, and more tempting than the likes of Juliet Chambers.

He already had everything planned out. Once he was better, he would hop on the first train to New York - where he grew up in a boarding house with a kind woman and the many boys his age. He had befriended a woman or two there, ones who were worth his time and attention. These women wanted to become nurses or become productive to society in some way. Far more worthy for him than a Southern Belle.

He just had to hope these women hadn't married since he left. He was sure a couple of them had, at this point.

"Where is that blasted doctor?" Vincent lifted his head, glaring at the door. He really needed to get a clock in his room, or anywhere around the house for that matter. He lowered his head once more, groaning.  He was already dressed and ready, waiting for Dr, King to give him the go-ahead to leave his room.

It wasn't until he covered his eyes with his arm that the knock finally came, followed by LuLu ushering Dr. King into the living space.

"Finally!" Vincent sat up, already dressed. His clothes were wrinkled from him laying in bed, but he cared little for his appearance. "As you can see, I am feeling much better Doctor. I would appreciate it if you would clear me for travel."

"Travel?" LuLu narrowed her eyes at her employer.  He hadn't told her of any plans to travel. "What need do you have for traveling? You haven't been here much more than a year!"

Vincent chose to ignore her, and instead focused his gaze on the doctor. The man was wary of the situation. After his confrontation with Miss Chambers, it was no wonder he feared the people living behind these walls.

"Let-let me just do a quick check-up. I'm sure that what you say is true! You-you look much better, of course!" McCoy couldn't help but narrow his eyes. Last he recalled, Dr. King was not as easily intimidated by him. What caused such a change of attitude in such a short period of time?

His mind immediately went to the girl, but he quickly brushed that thought under the rug. As if little Juliet Chambers was able to intimidate such a respectable man like Dr. King! She had flustered him, sure, but not to the point of scaring him.

The doctor went through the motions, doing all the standard checks before nodding his head. "Yes, Sir! It seems like you're almost completely healthy, but I would recommend that you don't push it. Perhaps wait a few days before traveling, and try to find the fastest and most relaxing route."

And just like that, the doctor was gone within ten minutes of arriving. It was true that visitors never stayed in the house very long when meeting with Mr. McCoy, but this was a new extreme never seen before.

"What do you need to travel for?" LuLu placed her fist on her hips, reminding Vincent of simpler times in his childhood. "You already finished school, and I haven't seen a single letter from any of your friends, so you better not lie to me."

Vincent silently fixed his tie, trying to ignore the sounds of the French doors below his room creak open and closed. He also tried to ignore the fact that once again the girl was entering his garden in nothing but her nightclothes. What a tempting sigh she could be when the wind picked up and lifted her skirts up her calf.

"Vincent McCoy! I asked you a question and I expect an answer!" LuLu drew closer, eyeing him suspiciously as she awaited her answer. Vincent shook his thoughts out of his head before answering.

"I need a wife." Vincent knew no other way to respond except through complete honesty. However, he spoke a little too quickly it seemed, for LuLu stared at him with empty eyes for several moments.

"A... D-did you say... a wife?" The woman stared at him, flabbergasted. She tried to understand what made him come to such a conclusion. There was already a beautiful young lady staying in his household, a woman he had kissed, a woman who had to care for him somewhat to not go running after the event. "But why go North? There are many pretty young women down here in Mabelle-"

"I don't want any of the pretty women here in Mabelle." He spoke with his mouth clenched shut, his canines showing beneath his scowl. "Why can't you understand that?"

"And how would a respectably intelligent lady from the North respond to you keeping a young woman here hostage against her family's will?" LuLu's tongue was quick, but Vincent chose not to let the surprise show on his face. She did have a point.

He hadn't thought about that. The damn girl had become a part of his daily routine. She was a part of the household now. For some reason, he didn't think about the fact that any wife he brought home would be threatened by Juliet Chambers' presence.

"I'll write back when I find a wife, just send the girl back home." He waved the question off like it was nothing. It was the fastest solution, but probably not the most well thought one.

"And what about her reputation? She stays as payment until you suddenly get married? You'll ruin her!"

"That isn't my problem-"

"I think it is! If you have one ounce of respect or gratitude for the girl, then you'll think about this more clearly. Honestly, don't you think she's good enough to be your wife?" Then question didn't get the chance to be answered before Vincent got tired of her questioning his decisions.

"That is quite enough!" Vincent's voice echoed around the small space. LuLu finally seemed to remember that she was no longer his nanny. Silently, she turned away and exited the room. 

The man ran his hands through his dark curls, irritated with how his morning was going. All he wanted was to return to where he felt the most comfortable - the place where he spent most of his childhood and young adulthood. Was that so terrible? To see the friends he hadn't seen in so long?

So be it. Let him be a terrible person.

"Aha!" Laughter and giggling sprung up from the garden, not a second after his thoughts finished.

Vincent stood from his perch on his bed and made his way over to the window. Using two fingers, he pulled the dark fabric away and cast his gaze over the expanse to find the girl who was currently haunting his thoughts with a small child - the youngest child of Viola Greene.

He watched Juliet place a flower in the girl's hair, oblivious to the world around her. The two giggled with each other as they discussed something, but neither seemed to notice him.

Neither seemed to notice how they made Vincent McCoy smile for the first time in ages.