Chapter Twenty One

There was a thing called, the light of hope. It was an unsteady blink,  it was a wavering excitement that comes when you think things are going right until it goes wrong. For Kamsi, it was that excitement she got when she started work but that excitement began to die. It was not stress from work.. They mostly sat around all day gossiping and selling goods. It was the stress from home. How she thought so much about things she shouldn't as her husband just stopped talking to her. She still tried to start conversations, not knowing what she did wrong but it was not working.

Going to work was actually good for her. It gave her time to see new faces and not be locked in the house like Sleeping beauty.
The only thing she hated about staying in her public office was that she carried all her problems on her face to come there and her business was everybody's business.

"Mrs Nwoko, why your face dey like jollof shit?" Dave asked. He was the comedian of the office,  He was the loud mouth that knew how to talk rubbish in varieties. Most times, he irritated Kamsi but this time she smiled at him.

It was a monday. Their October salary had just come in . Those that sold goods in the office had restocked knowing that people would be buoyant enough to patronize them without saying,
' Things are hard,  Nwannem. No money'

Kamsi sat on a low wooden bench close to the window, she turned her head to look out the corridor through the window. A woman had brought, okirika clothes. Alot of people, mostly women gathered around her.

" Your  skate,  one -one - fifty" she shouted to attract customers.

Beside the woman, selling clothes was a woman who displayed shoes and sandals on a ' Bagco' bag that was torn into two to make it big enough to accommodate all the wares. If it was Kamsi's first time coming there, she would think that market women came there to sell . Seeing the workers turn the work place to a market seemed funny to her just like it seemed funny to Michelle whenever she narrated her work experience.

The noise both from inside and outside was on another level. She just looked around eager to do something, praying earnestly that files for leave would come so she can atleast work on something.

"Mrs Nwoko, come and buy boxers for your husband " A male worker said. He was carrying somethings inside a Ghana-must- go bag.

"Mba. Another time " she replied.
She did not know the man and 'another time ' was just dismissal.  Mark would never wear Okirika. He did not even wear the shirts or slippers she got for him with her savings in the past. He always said they were inferior.. 'Things wheel barrow pushers wear'

She brought out a notebook and began to write the list of things she would buy for cooking in the house, for Mark, for Michelle. She could now spend and she wanted to do it wisely. She also added the materials she would need for her painting in the list. She had got a wine to appreciate Joseph when she got her first salary. He was reluctant to accept it but he did after much persuasion.

When it was just a few minutes to three, people started packing up to leave. Kamsi hung her new black hand bag on her shoulder and joined the troop of people leaving the environment. There was a boutique close to the head quarters. She went there and picked a T - shirt for her husband. she made sure to feel it, to know how superior it was before she paid. She bought a night wear for herself and bought the same color for Michelle.

She did not want to go home. It was a large house with just two people in it but these days, it felt stuffy.

She got on a bike to Michelle's place. By that time of the year, November, the rain was no more as frequent as it used to be. It was just once in a while, a way of bidding bye for the year.

"Oga, take am easy na !" she shouted at the bike man who knew no patience but was on a mission to recklessly arrive his destination quickly.

"Na Jesus wey you carry? If na Jesus wey you carry, go buy motto" the bike man retorted.

"I no blame you " Kamsi replied with the pressing urge to slap his head which was without visible hair, gleaming in the sun.

Michelle was sitting under the coconut tree when she got into the compound. She had junior in her arms.

"I just thought of you now " Michelle said as she saw Kamsi walk in.

"You always think of me. Why are you limiting it" Kamsi replied, going to get a seat from the varendah to join her.

" Shatap my friend "

Kamsi laughed , then sat down before asking where Ella was .

"That one, since she came back from school she has been cooking at the back of the house "

"What is she cooking? " Kamsi asked laughing .

Michelle stood up and walked to the edge of the building.
" Ella, come and give Auntie Kamsi your food to eat ! " She called.

Kamsi started to bring out the night wear she got her.

" E don happen, E don happen " Michelle sang, coming back to her seat and seeing the gift on the seat.

" I got one like that for myself too" Kamsi said.

Michelle handed her baby to Kamsi then picked the night wear and started dancing around singing songs of praises in Igbo. She looked like a mother that had been given a bag of rice.

"Will you stop embarrassing me" Kamsi said, amused by her exaggerated act of excitement.

Michelle did not stop dancing with the dress till she was satisfied and that was when she was tired and sweating.

"They have brought your food, go and wash your hand" She said, laughing as Ella approached.

The little girl was carrying a small  handless pot and smiling innocently as she approached.

"Give me my baby. So you can eat" Michelle said, taking Junior. She seemed to be enjoying herself way too much.

"What did you cook?" asked Kamsi as she peeped into the pot of sand decorated with flowers.

"Potato and tomato " the little girl replied.

" Give Auntie, let her taste " Michelle said, feigning seriousness when she wanted to laugh.

Kamsi eyed her briefly then concentrated on Ella who was saying,

"Auntie open your mouth, ah.. Ah"

" Go and give  mummy. She likes potato " Kamsi said, pushing away the rubber spoon of concotion from her face.

" I know you people don't want to eat my food. I know, I know " Ella said, carrying her pot of 'food' away.

Michelle laughed hard clutching her tummy.

"You and your daughter are terrorists " Kamsi said laughing.

"Do you know that, her food has actually touched her father's lips before? " Michelle asked, laughing harder than before.

"God forbid! " Kamsi exclaimed.

Michelle only laughed harder. It was a fun moment for her. Kamsi wondered if anything ever bothered her. She had a good job and her masters in psychology. Her family seemed peaceful and love filled. Kamsi saw the things she did not have in that home and it made her fill empty.