prologue.

words: 1878
-

Levi Ackerman was a straightforward man. He didn't like to twist and twirl sentences within the gaps of his fingers just so that the other party could receive a fortune of being  self-satisfied with themselves. If a document was wrong, then it was only wrong. There was not even a single shade of grey in his words. They were either black or white, he was always tumbling along a row of extremes. Just like his whole life.

"Wrong," he called, tucking the file within the confines of his ebony drawer. He wasn't sure what hurricane of emotion waltzed along the poor guy's face but one among those was surely disappointment. Thick, yet blurry and sure as hell not inconspicuous.

And this was what made Levi wonder if he was too harsh on his employees. He never touched any of them, not even laid a finger or caused a hair to fall off the bushes. But verbal assault. He tilted his chin and closed his eyes to conjure up all of those moments when he had to shout at the bunch of amateurs sitting in their cubicles and secretly eating a bag of Doritos. There weren't many times, though, when he had to cross a certain limit of pitch in his voice.

Remembering those moments wasn't as elementary as picking up a file from his desk. First of all, his memories weren't alphabetically arranged and second of all, he never gave them much importance. It wouldn't be a surprise to him if he couldn't recollect them.

"B-But," the younger male stirred in his seat and sighed loudly, as if he had been expecting a better result. Perhaps gratitude. Levi internally snickered. To achieve his gratitude, one had to first cross mountains, drink sea water, battle with snakes, stab themselves with glass fifteen times and become a zombie. In short, it was nearly impossible.

"Go and tell those lazy asses to re-check the accounts." He sighed, reciprocating the disappointment.

Jean scurried off, leaving behind a trail of fear for Levi to inhale. Fear was a good adulterous material to grind on air. But cigarette was more excelling. Better and lethal. It was like small force which churns one's insides slowly in the most sluggish tempo and when it fully takes its effect, the user would be caught off guard, muttering, "I thought this shit was harmless."

Levi didn't pay any heed to his thoughts. He climbed up the stairs and stepped onto the roof of the building. Fumbling with a pack of cigarettes, he drew one from the pack and lit it. His pale lips encased the white stick and his lungs expanded to take a long drag, long and almost painful. His eyes dilated themselves. Holding his breath in for a second, he finally let go of the cloud of smoke.  His nerves first quivered at the taste of a foreign material other than your usual air, but finally gave in to the addicting nicotinic taste.

The barbarous wind almost slapped the cigarette away from his lips but Levi held on to his precious treasure. Elbows on the steel railing, he let the scenery of an October evening flood his vision. Neon lights were blaring against the crumbling bricks, purple mixing with red resulting in an maladroit combination which repelled most of  the picky pedestrians from walking along that lane. Various colored cars moved in a straight path but split up when they encountered the V point of Emmel street. The rooms of 'Gemma Apartments' building were lit in such a way that it was almost impossible to ignore the strange 'W'  which the windows made on one side of the apartment complex.

It took Levi a precise of two minutes to realize that every street and building in Rose City had a name with two consecutive m's shoved somewhere in the word: Emmel street, Mmres Café, Remmy's shoe shop, etcetera.

"Fucking weather," he cursed when the wind tried to slap away his cigarette again.  His conscience was telling him to drag his feet and go back to his office but his not-yet-finished nicotine stick was cooing otherwise. He wasn't fazed when a few pigeons landed on the railing next to him  but a sudden intense fear made his arms travel back to his sides.