Chapter 66 - Finale

Chapter 66

Finale

- His eyes turned a golden hue as triump stirred to birth within his heart -

Dark robes swirled around, echoing the hushed whispers of the sea of onlookers who had gathered around the arena in the spectator court to watch the final round of the Fury. Tall pillars of darkened stone bore emblems of the different classes. Even the tiles upon the floor of the spectator courts had carved into them, in detailed design, intricate images of man and beast, weapon and tool.

There was an atmosphere of astonishment and many pale faces beneath dark hoods had eyes alight with the light of bewilderment. For two mere boys, barely sixteen years of age, had reached the final round of the annual tournament. Two mere boys, not even close to completing their training, had somehow reached the final round of the Fury. One of the boys, the bigger of the two, had powered through each of his rounds, dispatching his opponents with cold, calculated and cruel ease, demonstrating raw power and remarkable strength. His onlookers had marveled in his power but narrowed their eyes in distaste, with some choosing to look away from displays of flagrant disrespect and blatant cruelty. The other boy, though smaller in stature, had fought both savagely and desperately and though at times it seemed he would be overcome by his opponent, somehow, the boy would employ all manner of skill, tactic and strategy, in finding a way to victory. In the second and third rounds, the boy had intentionally let his guard down a number of occasions, drawing his opponent in, before dancing away much to his opponent's frustration. Each time his opponent rushed in, the boy backed out. As his opponent grew tired, the boy appeared to grow stronger and more confident. Days and months of physical labour under the instruction of his cruel master had conditioned the boy's body in a manner unlike any of the other contestants. The round had lasted for an exhausting two hours before the boy's opponent dropped to the floor, unable to move, the automaton's voice declaring the man unconscious. In the fourth round, the boy had employed a similar tactic as he had in round one but of a more cunning nature. And the speed at which he had executed the move was incredible, drawing a raised eyebrow from even the High Paladin himself. He had lured his opponent to the very edge of the inner ring before allowing himself to be hit squarely in the chest. But as the boy appeared to fall beyond the edge of the inner ring, his hands shot out to catch his opponent's fist, the very same that had struck him. Gripping his opponent's gloved fist tightly, the boy had leaned backwards using his bodyweight to drag his opponent downwards and as his opponent's momentum pulled him forward and downward, the boy pivoted, pushing off from his falling opponent, stepping back into the inner circle, much to the astonishment of the silent crowd. 

Within the ring of darkened tiles stood two figures. They stood apart from each other and did not look at the other. The bigger boy bounded about in powerful movements, stretching and testing his muscles and joints. On his face was plastered a haughty look. The smaller boy, however, barely moved, but stood with his head bowed low, as if staring at the ground or in deep prayer and meditation, arms hanging limply at his side. His face could not be seen by any of the onlookers.  

Floating high above the tournament was a medium-sized hovering platform where the members of the Angardian Council of the tournament stood present, ready to announce the victor of the annual tournament. Tension hung in the air as the crowd waited with bated breath for the automaton voice to announce the final round of the Fury. A golden-brown haired girl with golden-orange eyes, unseen by both contestants, stood near the edge of the ring of onlookers. She watched on nervously. 

The sonorous voice of the automaton resounded throughout the hall, reverberating from the towering pillars of dark stone.

"The final round of the Fury. Gargan Beefheart. Gargan Beefheart defeated Boria Jashova in the first round. Garan Beefheart defeated Lax Maron in the second round. Gargan Beefheart defeated Trafga Hivler in the third round. Gargan Beefheart defeated Jinn Mahegak in the fourth round."