²², AVOID THE WORST ON APRIL FIRST

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter twenty-two; Avoid The Worst On April First
" Prongsie, found yourself a pretty little redhead d'ya? "

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄chapter twenty-two; Avoid The Worst On April First" Prongsie, found yourself a pretty little redhead d'ya? "

  APRIL CAME WITH no remorse, bringing ever more spring showers and allergies to the unlucky few. But, what was most important to a select group of teenage boys, was April first.

  April Fool's Day, the global day of pranks and hijinks, it was practically made for the Marauders. And they had an ingrained rule that no one was safe, so when it came to Salem's turn to be pranked, the girl dealt with the most innocent of pranks.

  "I'm not opening the can."

  "But I can't do it," Sirius drawled out, eyeing the can, "Oh, come on, please, Sal?"

  Salem raised an eyebrow, looking to James who matched Sirius's puppy dog eyes with ones of his own. So the redhead sighed, popped the can open, and stoically watched as worms exploded from it.

  "Got ya!"

  "You're both children."

  "Ah, but you tolerate us," James sighed, pulling Salem into his side without hesitation, "Can o' worms, come on, it's classic."

  "I assume not all your pranks today are as tame."

  "Have you met us, Gerard?" Sirius asked genuinely, falling into an armchair, "Oh, unrelated, steer clear of the third-floor lavatories today."

  "Noted. I'm heading to the library, if it's safe."

  "As long as you weren't hoping to actually read any of the books—"

  "It's safe," James cut off Sirius, shaking his head lightly as his friend grinned mischievously, "Want some company?"

  "I suppose, if Lily's free—"

  "Evans is avoiding the castle today— she knows better— unluckily for you my schedule is wide open," James smiled, squeezing Salem's shoulder slightly, "C'mon, Sal, I promise to only distract you a little bit."

  "I feel like I don't have much of a choice."

  "We'll play a game of chess when we get back?"

  "Suddenly, I'm fully on board."

  Salem felt like a stupid schoolgirl the walk to the library. She kept purposefully brushing her arm against James's, hoping he'd take a hint and grab her hand.

  James knew, of course, he knew, and every time she did it he'd grin and wait for it to happen again.

  And eventually, he laced their fingers together smoothly, laughing when Salem sighed and made a comment about him being needy.