¹⁷, A HALO WAY DOWN BELOW

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter seventeen; A Halo Way Down Below
James Potter could never love a girl like me. "

  ROMAN COULD TELL something was off with Salem

  ROMAN COULD TELL something was off with Salem. It was as clear as the sun melting the snow, the way she clicked her pen ten times over shouted volumes— as did her untouched glass of butterbeer.

  Because, despite the rebellion in her veins and the witchcraft floating around her head, Salem was first and foremost a teenager. And what sort of teenager let free alcohol linger in front of them like it wasn't liquid gold?

  "Hey," The man smiled, easing himself into the booth Salem occupied, "Rosy let me on a break— you hungry?"

  "Not really," Salem mumbled, flipping a page, "I'm trying to study for NEWTs, I know I've got a few more months but I'd rather not cram all last minute."

  "You're just over halfway done with the year."

  "I know," She briefly looked up at the man, "Every second counts."

  "You're a madwoman."

  "A madwoman who will not fail a single NEWT."

  Roman shook his head, before propping his chin on his fist. The teen glanced up briefly, focusing on her book harder than before. 

  "Stop watching me, it's distracting."

  "Are you okay, Sal?"

  "That's a stupid question," Salem mumbled, shuffling in her seat, "Yes, of course, I'm okay."

  Roman twisted his lips to the side, clearly not believing the girl who was attempting to nosedive into the pages of her potions textbook.

  But before he could press anymore, or Salem could actually will herself to disappear, a new distraction wandered into the Three Broomsticks. 

  "Hello," Sirius smiled, his hands stuffed into his pockets, "Can I steal Gerard for a moment?"

  "Don't think you're off the hook," Roman pointed to an unimpressed Salem, sliding out of the booth to give Sirius his seat.

  "So," The teen cleared his throat, slowly lowering himself into the newly abandoned seat, "James is a madman."

  "Oh?" Salem mumbled, biting on the end of her pen absentmindedly.

  "He says Mystery Girl finished the game," Sirius said, suddenly his voice didn't seem to be tiptoeing around the girl, "That she's done with him now."

  Salem swallowed hard, staring at the words without really reading them.

  "He said she didn't want to, but she ended their chess sessions. That—"

  "Why are you telling me like I don't know?" Salem said swiftly, lifting her line of sight to Sirius who leaned back in his seat as if satisfied, "What did you want, me to admit it? Yes, I ended the. . . stupid game."