¹⁴, ROMANTIC GESTURES WITH STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter fourteen; Romantic Gestures With Strawberry Ice Cream
That's just it, Potter, she doesn't deserve you. "

  JAMES WAS HAVING a good joke with Lily

  JAMES WAS HAVING a good joke with Lily. Like, the proper kind, where their laughter had turned silent and their eyes brimmed with happy tears. Neither could pinpoint what had started it, just that the Valentine's Day sun beaming on the pitch had lifted their spirits so high they could no longer see the ground.

  And then, not only did the ex-lovers halt their laughter, but Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Dottie Fitzgerald, and Marlene McKinnon fell silent as Sirius and Salem's unmistakable voices ripped through the air.

  "It's classic!"

  "It's cliche."

  "Don't be such a Debbie Downer, Gerard," Sirius whined, trailing after the girl, "It's the most romantic flower on the most romantic day!"

  "What are you two bickering about?" Lily laughed shortly, eyeing the two.

  Salem held up a rose. Dottie cringed.

  "What?" Sirius exclaimed, his arms flailing to express his confusion, "It was a nice gesture!"

  "Yeah, but it's Sal," Dottie laughed.

  "What does that mean?"

  "It means I already think Valentine's Day is a bunch of shit, and roses just so happen to be the most cliche, over-commercialized flower in the entire world."

  "Didn't know you had such harsh feelings on flowers," James noted with an amused smile.

  Salem melted inside, but kept her composure.

  "Of course I do, Potter, I have harsh feelings on everything."

  "Alright, then, what's your favorite flower?" Sirius asked, "You can't say something usual, either, since you're so loud about a rose."

  "Chocolate Cosmos."

  "Not a thing, don't exist."

  "Actually," Dottie laughed, "They do, they're a flower native to Mexico."

  Peter raised his eyebrows at the girl.

  "We read a lot," She explained quickly, blushing at the look she was receiving, "Boredom strikes and we end up wandering through a flora and fauna book in the library."

  "Strange, strange girls," James muttered, shaking his head.

  "Well, I didn't come here to chat about flowers," Salem cleared her throat, "How are we doing the game?"

  "Couple more blokes from the team are showing up— then we'll pick teams."

  "I call Sal!" Sirius shouted, pulling the disgruntled redhead under his arm, "We're beaters."