¹⁵, SALEM GERARD, MULTI-TALENTED

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter fifteen; Salem Gerard, Multi-Talented
But I'm not what she needs, long term. " 

  DOTTIE FITZGERALD WASN'T sure what to say after Salem caught her up on everything

  DOTTIE FITZGERALD WASN'T sure what to say after Salem caught her up on everything. She was still processing the news, sitting criss-cross on the floor of their shared dorm, as Salem walked back and forth, getting herself ready for the day.

  "So, Sirius— the same Sirius who ruined your life— now fancies you?"

  "Yes."

  "And his best friend fancies this girl he's playing chess with, also you, while committing to making you— the real you— have a good final year."

  "Mhm."

  "And Lily's upset."

  "She's hurt— rightfully so," Salem slowed, frowning, "I'm sure it felt like I was using her, but beyond that we were friends and I was. . . chatting up her ex-boyfriend."

  "So, what are you going to do?"

  "What?" Salem asked, "Nothing, yet. I can't."

  "Why not?"

  "It's not the right time—"

  "It never will be," Dottie said gently, "Sal, you've dug yourself into a hole— the longer you wait the deeper it gets."

  "I'll tell James who I am, but not now, not right after Sirius tried to kiss me, okay?" Salem let out a breath, "I just need to sort the whole Sirius thing out first."

  "Okay," Dottie nodded, "No, that's. . . understandable. Because you fancy James, right?"

  Salem sighed. She didn't want to say it out loud. This made it real. A physical fact that she couldn't deny— at least when it was in her head, she could deny it. Pretend it was a thought wandered too far.

  "Me? Like Potter? Fat chance."

  Dottie watched Salem patiently, as the redhead scoffed and shook her head— before sighing and letting the silence linger for just enough time that she had to fill it.

  "Yes."

  Because it was reality. It was sad, crushing, unfortunate reality.

  "I wouldn't worry too much," The girl said honestly, offering Salem a gentle look, "Sirius may seem like a prick, but Peter says he's quite understanding with those he cares about. And he, clearly, cares about you."

  "So, Peter?"

  Dottie shook her head, looking down at her lap with a small smile.

  "He wouldn't happen to have anything to do with your date last night, would he?"