1

River's POV: Today is my 18th birthday and I couldn't be happier. My sister, Clary is also turning 18 today. We're not twins though, you see my mom found me when I was just 6 months old. I was abandoned by my parents and Jocelyn, who I now call mom took me in. She had her own 6 month old hence my sister Clary but we've been raised as sisters our entire life. I smile when my alarm starts going off. I hit the off button and I grab my clothes.

I get dressed quickly and I glamorize my runes which allows me to hide them from my sister since my mom wiped all her memories of the shadow world. Glamorizing my runes keeps Clary from seeing them because she doesn't have the sight yet. I sigh and walk out into the kitchen grabbing breakfast. I quickly eat my eggs that I made. I see that it's 5:30 am and I frown knowing I'm behind my usual schedule. I grab my gear from my locked chest. I put my stele in my pocket and grab two seraph blades. I grab my phone off the table and head to Pandemonium. I know this club is owned by Magnus Bane so I have to be careful so he doesn't see me. I see the demon I've been chasing for a couple days and I grab my stele. I activate my deflect rune and a couple others before continuing. I jump onto the top of a building needing to see where the demon is going and who it's shape shifting into. I run and jump onto the next building. I flip off the building and follow the demon into the club. I see a blonde hair guy and dark hair guy and they step into my path and I realize that they're shadowhunters. I frown and find my demon. I see there's now five demons and one jumps at me. I grab my blade and stab one in the shoulder. I see the two guys from earlier run in with a girl I didn't notice. I realize that the dark hair guy and the girl are related and I smile. I focus back on the demons and I kill one of them. The second one scratches me and I bite my lip holding back a scream and I kick it away from me. I watch as the girl holds it and the two guys kill it.

The third and fourth demon run towards the girl so I run in front of her pushing her out of the way since the two other hunters were paying attention to the last demon. I jump on it's back killing the third demon and the fourth one picks me up and throws me across the room. I get up and run towards it jumping in the air and using all my weight to stab the demon killing it. Once the demons are gone I start to leave knowing my mom will kill me for letting people see me.

"I'm Alec and this is my sister Izzy and our brother and my parabatai Jace. I've never seen you around and you certainly know what you're doing. You're super good and it's a waste to not have you train and go on missions with us. Come with us and you'll have a home. You have your angelic rune and you're definitely a shadowhunter. You saved my sister and we can't thank you enough so please come with us and have a home." "I can't, it's my birthday and I have to get back home. My mom will kill me if she knows you saw me. Thank you for helping me though." "Wait, at least tell me your name." "It's River, I have to go." I run away and once I'm a safe distance away I grab my stele and activate my iratze rune to heal my wound. I get home and my runes are concealed and I see Simon and Clary in the kitchen talking. I round the corner and find my mom and Luke standing in my room. "Where were you?" "I was training and then I finally killed the demon I've been tracking." "River, I need you to know that Clary is already starting to remember. She's drawing runes and she's starting to see the shadow world. Simon and Clary are going to his gig and then celebrating afterward and I need you to go with them and protect Clary. You're her older sister even though it's only by an like a minute or something." I nod hearing everything Luke told me a second ago and my mom kisses my forehead before Luke hugs me. I smile and go to my chest locking it so Clary won't see until we need it. I walk back down to where Simon is and he smiles at me. "River, you wanna come to the gig?" "Yeah sure." I smile and Luke hands Clary spray paint for Simon's van. "If I see any graffiti on the walls I'll arrest you myself." "It's for Simon's van."

I smile and Dot comes in and hands me a bag and I smile. "Don't tell your mom I got you this. She's my boss and I like my job." I smile and nod before pulling out a gorgeous red sparkly dress. "Thank you, Dot. It's gorgeous and I love it. Plus knowing mom will hate it means it's cool." Dot laughs and I smile before hugging her tightly. "I love you River. You too Clary." "I love you Dot." Dot has honestly become my sister, she never made Clary come first. She is the only person to make sure I come first and doesn't compare us and that was always nice. It's always pissed Clary off that Dot didn't treat her like royalty. I go my room and change into my dress and quickly do my makeup. I grab a trench coat and put it over my dress. I grab my blades and my stele before going into the living room and I see mom and Luke. "Clary, it's going to be just me and you plus your sister and Luke tomorrow for breakfast. We need to have an important talk. Clary I know you don't think so but listen to your sister. She's older and she'll protect you. I love you." I smile at my mom and I go out to Simon's van.

After Simon's gig was over we went to Pandemonium. Simon wanted to celebrate Clary's birthday with alcohol. I roll my eyes but pull out my fake id. I'm standing next to Simon's van and I see Clary staring at a rune she drew. I frown and go to ask her about it but I get bumped into. I see the blonde boy from earlier. "It's you." "Yeah it is." I turn and I can feel him staring until someone calls his name. Soon Clary runs in after him and I follow her. I see the three hunters from earlier questioning a demon and Clary screams. She tries to go after Alec but she trips and falls. The demon charges towards Clary so I push her out of the way and slice into the demon's arm with my blade. The demon is distracted by Jace and Izzy. I notice Alec creeping up on it and I watch making sure the demon doesn't see him. Clary yells to the demon who still looks like a person to watch out and the demon goes to attack Alec. I jump in front of Alec and I feel the demons claws go into my shoulder. I stab the demon again and Izzy holds him with her whip while Jace and I stab him. I see Alec on the ground and I run over. "Alec, are you okay?" Alec groans and I sigh knowing he's alive. I help him to his feet.

I go to help Clary but I start to feel the demon poison. I feel the room start to spin and soon I'm falling. I feel arms catch me and I see Jace staring at me. "Jace, where are you taking me? Where's Clary?" "Alec took your sister home and I'm taking you to the institute we live at. Izzy already wants you to be her parabatai and we want you to be apart of our family." "My sister doesn't know this world and I need to protect her." Jace nods and I smile and let him carry me. Soon I see we're at the institute and I smile seeing how gorgeous it is.

Jace carries me to a bed and I smile when he gently sets me down

Jace carries me to a bed and I smile when he gently sets me down. "Don't worry about your sister, she's coming here. Alec says once she got home she cried about leaving you. Just get some rest." I nod and soon I feel sleep starting to take over.