14) A Year Later

Dale and I were having supper together at the castle. Latina was at home with friends, my parents were out of town for the night. We had come to my home to have a night to ourselves, but Dale also said he had something he wanted to tell me.

After the waiters served us in the empty dining hall they left, leaving us all alone. We started to eat, but then Dale our down his fork, and I did too as he started to talk.

"I think we've been together long enough for me to say this. Alice, do you want to get married?" Dale asked.

I smiled. "Yes"

I took off the promise ring he had gotten me, going to replace it with the ring he had to give me now, but I accidentally dropped it.

I hurried off of my chair and under the table as I looked around for it. I found it, reaching out to grab it, but my hand covered another hand. I looked up and saw Dale's face right in front of mine.

He smiled and moved closer, kissing me. As he did he slid the new ring on my finger. We pulled away, smiled at each other, and he pocketed the promise ring.

"I'll give it back, I just need to see it first"

What he ended up doing with it was he put it on a string, turning it into a necklace. I instantly put it on when he gave it to me a couple hours later and thanked him.

"I love it"

He pulled me down onto the bed and we both laughed, our laughter dying down as we stared into each other's eyes.

***

He held my hands in his, looking into my eyes. "I won't ever leave you behind. I'll always stay by your side. Together, we'll raise Latina to be a beautiful girl and we'll be the family that we all want"

I smiled. "Dale, you helped me when I was lost and you stayed by my side when I needed someone most. Even with the time apart, meeting again seemed to be fate. My love for you only grew from then on. I love you"

We finished the ceremony with a kiss and everyone cheered. We walked back down the aisle, hand in hand, Latina following behind us with her flower basket, towards the dinning hall where the rest of the night would be held.

We started with the dancing. Dale and I did a dance by ourselves, spinning around the open space with all eyes on us. But we were only focused on each other.

Until the dance was over and Latina said she wanted a dance with Dale. I sat down and watched with a smile on my face as they danced cheerfully.

This was my family.