Chapter 21: Important Conversations

So much for controlling emotions, Severus.. Jeez :P.

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

Hermione consulted her watch, "We've got exactly ten minutes to get back down to the hospital wing without anybody seeing us – before Dumbledore locks the door –"

"Okay," Harry said, "let's go...."

We went through the doorway behind us and down a tight spiraling stone staircase. As we reached the bottom, we heard voices and flattened ourselves against the wall to listen. It was Severus and the Minister. They were walking quickly along the corridor at the foot of the staircase.

"... only hope Dumbledore's not going to make difficulties," Severus was saying. "The Kiss will be performed immediately?"

You really hate him that much, Severus? I thought with a pained eye roll.

"As soon as Macnair returns with the Dementors. This whole Black affair has been highly embarrassing. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to informing the Daily Prophet that we've got him at last.... I daresay they'll want to interview you, Snape... and once young Harry's back in his right mind, I expect he'll want to tell the Prophet exactly how you saved him...."

I could see Severus's smirk as he and the Minister passed our hiding place, mine and Hermione's arms automatically snapping in front of Harry to keep him from jumping them. Their footsteps soon died away. We made sure they had really gone, and then started sprinting in the opposite direction. Down one staircase, and then another, along a corridor – then we heard Peeves. Gosh, it's been a while since I saw him. He's really good at avoiding me.

"Peeves!" Harry muttered, grabbing our wrists. "In here!"

We sped into a deserted classroom to our left just in time – Peeves bouncing along the corridor in happy spirits, laughing his head off as always.

"Oh, he's horrible," Hermione whispered, keeping her ear pressed against the door. "I bet he's all excited because the Dementors are going to finish off Sirius...." She checked her watch. "Three minutes!"

We waited until we could no longer hear Peeves, and then hurried out and broke into a run once more.

"Hermione –" Harry said, "– what'll happen – if we don't get back inside – before Dumbledore locks the door?"

"I don't want to think about it!" Hermione said, checking her watch again. "One minute!"

We reached the end of the corridor with the entrance to the hospital wing. "Okay – I can hear Dumbledore," Hermione said. "Come on, almost there!" I think that 'almost there' was for my sake. I almost felt like passing out, we'd been running so much my head was spinning.

Creeping along the corridor, the hospital door opened and Professor Dumbledore's back appeared to us.

"I'm going to lock you in," we heard him saying. "It is five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

He backed out of the room, closed the door, and took out his wand to magically lock it. In a panic, we ran forward. Professor Dumbledore looked up and smiled widely. "Well?" he asked quietly.

"We did it!" Harry said breathlessly.

Pff, I can't even get one word out! I thought as I huffed and puffed to get a regular rhythm of air back into my lungs.