Living In That Tailer Trash

"It's not like he can catch us anyway." The four usual neighborhood boys were out and about playing the game tag. The tallest with freckled red hair was Alec. He was always the taunting one seeing if anybody could beat him in a race. The short bowl-cut Asian was Wan. He had just moved into the "neighborhood" but was soon leaving. Eddie was a nice kid. Always clean looking and had a nice haircut. Nice, shoes, clothes, everything. Then there was youngest, Daryl. The boys there were at least 11 years old and older. He was 8. With ripped jeans, and a Callin' for a "please, I need a haircut," he tried to act tough but failed to each time. Daryl was always a slow runner, and the game tag wasn't helping at all. As he reached for Alec's shoulder for what seemed liked the 100th time, he smashed down to the ground so quickly, it felt like he was going in slow motion. He picked himself up slowly.
Wan screamed, "Run!" Alec smirked and went back over to the defeated child.
"Hey, dumbass. The game isn't over. You're. Still. It."
Daryl mumbled something in the concrete.
"WHAT?" Alec screamed in his ear.
"I sthink' he said-" Wan piped in.
"Shut up, and let me listen." The 8-year-old rolled over and spat out,
"I said, 'I'm done. I'm going home. My mom might be worried.'"
He closed his eyes and waited for approval. Then a cackling laugh emerged before him.
"Yer momma don't give one piece of shit about'cha, kid." Daryl stood up, stumbling a little at first. "Yeah huh. She told me herself." Alec stared at him blankly for a long, stern minute.
"You are an idiot. All of you. You must be retarded to think that." Daryl's face heaped with the color red.
"She did! And you ain't got any proof about it either." The two other boys, Eddie and Wan just stood there, giving each other looks.
"C'mon Alec. Don't be a jerk for one game, and maybe we will all have a little more fun that usual," commented Eddie.
"Yes," Wan agreed.
"I'm not being the baby here. Why are we even playing with a first grader?" A look of anger stung Alec's face.
"I'm in 2nd grade!" Daryl screeched.
"Big deal. Go on. go home to mommy." And he did. With his fists in balls at his sides, he marched home with disapproval in Alec's voice.
"Momma's boy!" Was the last thing he heard before his scratchy voice turned into the rustling wind of the trees.

•••
I don't have friends. I thought I did, but I don't. Not real ones. I heated up some mac n' cheese and turned on my favorite and only movie we had-
The Lady and the Tramp. We had a 7 inch- yes, 7 inch, "T.V." I always thought it was kinda plain and boring the whole movie, but it got me thinkin'. And I was thinkin', "Boy oh boy, it would be great to have a dog." Someone to play fetch with me. who wouldn't make fun of me. My dad says dogs bite, and they're mean. They're only mean to you when you're mean to them. I learned that in school. Half way through the movie, I glance over in the kitchen and see the grease covered clock. It reads 5:14. Merle should be home soon. And maybe mom will come home too! I miss her so much. And, and she does love me. Moms are suppose to love kids. It is in their nature. Sure enough, my big brother busts thought the wooden door, wheezing smoke out. I was happy to see him. He doesn't like when I hug him though. He gets mad. With out even noticing me, he trips up stairs kicking off his shoes. I scoop up one last noodle from my meal. It was so good. I wish I could have more. When my movie is over, I walk slowly up the stained stairs. I get up there and turn right to see his room. He sits on his bed staring at his wrist. I then tip-toe over. Being as quiet as I can, he still catches me.
"I can hear you. I'm not dumb." I automatically stop. He turns around slowly, looking tired.
"I ain't got time for playin' around. Responsibilities and shit. Nuttin' fer a kid like you." He exhales. I walk closer and closer- wondering if he'll kick me out again. I watch him for several minutes smoking. I try to talk to him in my mind. Maybe we can have a conversation in our heads! Probably not. That would be cool. I climb on the bed.
"Get. Out." He grumbles.
"But I-"
"Don't care."
"Please. Where's... Dad?"
He stops and scrubs his chin.
"Probably in the same place he's always in. His chair." I nod agreeing.
"And mom?..." He didn't answer me.
"Did you eat some of the Mac n' cheese?" I hum "yes."
"Good."
"How was work?" I question.
"Slow. Nobody needed fixin' on their cars. Probably won't get a pay check on that." He lays on his bed and runs his fingers through his hair. I lay down next to him.
"I'll give you something if you get out of my room." I sat up, ready for the wager. He pulled out a minnie coloring book with a 12-pack of crayons. I was literally clapping my hands.
"I finished the other one. I thought you said there were no more." Taking out the the smoking stick, he breathed,
"I lied. Didn't have money for that. But, since you've been not acting stupid, I'd get you somethin' special." I grasped the book and looked through the pages. It was nothing more than a bunch of baby animals waiting to be colored. I smile and tugged him in a tight hug. He grumbled something like,
"Fuck off, pussy willow." I hopped off his bed and walked down stairs, realizing, that's probably the nicest my cool big brother has ever been.