23 | martin

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

MARTIN

( — ricky martin; puerto-rican singer, actor, and author who is widely regarded as the "king of latin pop". )

          BREAKING NEWS: SELINA CHICKENS OUT, WHICH SHOCKS ABSOLUTELY NO ONE

          BREAKING NEWS: SELINA CHICKENS OUT, WHICH SHOCKS ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. After an entire week of postponing that super important phone call she has to make, she's forced to admit to herself and to the world (namely: Ethan and Winona, fresh out of her honeymoon) that she doesn't have the courage to pick up the phone and call her dad.

          "You're telling me I leave for a week, and all hell breaks loose," Winona comments, sitting on a kitchen island, which probably isn't that hygienic, considering they prepare food there. She, much like Cameron, has quite the annoying tendency to steal their peanut butter and eat it straight from the jar. "Why am I only finding out about this nearly a month after it happened?"

          "Because"—Ethan shoots Selina a pointed look—"Selina here is determined to go through everything by herself, for some reason I can't understand."

          "Wow. It's almost like we're her friends and want to help her."

          Ethan shrugs. "That's what I've been telling her for an entire month, but why don't you try it? Maybe she'll listen to you instead."

          "Please stop," Selina begs, burying her face in her hands in embarrassment. "You know exactly why I didn't tell you."

          "Actually, I don't," Winona corrects. "Please, Selina, enlighten me."

          Selina dramatically drops her hands. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry about me during your honeymoon. That week was about you and Beverly, not about my relationship drama."

          "Fair enough, but that doesn't answer why you waited an entire month to tell me what happened. I'm glad you two followed my orders and didn't hook up at the reception, at least, but I'm not thrilled to hear it's over now. What happened? You were looking pretty cozy there, Ethan told me you even went out for brunch the morning after—"

           "We went out, I started overthinking about everything that could possibly go wrong, and ruined things between us. That's all." She stands up to dump her cold coffee into the sink. Ethan wrinkles his nose. "I'm well aware I screwed up and that this is all my fault. I'm aware I didn't just break my own heart; I broke his as well. I know all of that. I don't need the two of you to constantly rub it in my face."

           "Did you watch Summersteen's New Year's Eve live stream?" Ethan asks Winona.

          "You mean the one where Selina got called someone's 'streetlight person'? Damn right I watched it." She hops off the kitchen island and throws out the now empty peanut butter jar. Then, she stops right in front of Selina, arms firmly crossed in front of her chest. "Selina, I hate that I'm as invested in a heterosexual relationship as I am with yours, but please, please talk to him. He's smitten, head over heels, pretty much in love with you. Are you going to keep pretending that's not real? Are you going to keep pretending you don't feel the exact same way for him?"