01 January 2020

You stole my voice.

There's other things you stole - my pride, my dignity, my courage, my hope, my happiness. But there's no way I can express that without my voice.

Sometimes you're alright. You're in a good mood, and while I still have to tread carefully, you smile at me. You talk to me like I'm your sister. Those are the times that have won you my loyalty. They're the reason the bad days hurt so much - because I've seen the good.

Then there's the bad days. The days that make me want to hate you. The days where you glare at me and I can't do a thing right. When you steal attention that should be equally ours. You walk side by side with royalty and I am left behind in the dirt. Alone. As always.

I tried to find my voice once. I didn't quite manage it. It was merely a whisper. It caught attention, but only held it for a few seconds. I tried to speak, and it's my fault they didn't hear.

This, this is all my fault too. It's my fault that I can't differentiate between friend and enemy. It's my fault that even your reasonable requests are forgotten or ignored. In the end, that's why I don't speak out. I know fully well that this is my fault as much as it is yours. Action, reaction. An eye for an eye. I deserve this.

I'll let you keep my voice.

I deserve this.