Prologue

"Who is it this time?" An annoyed Gray she-cat with green eyes hissed.

A brown-and-black tom cat—young— with blue eyes glanced back at her from the pool.

He sighed, knowledge pooling from those young eyes.

He had been a young warrior—not even allowed much of a chance—when he died. Around 24 moons old.

Here he was now, staring down at a pool when he could have been still helping his clan in their time of need.

He sighed, breathing heavily on the pool.

This was his first time watching the pool. It was his first time in StarClan, and his last.

He had died in the battle before this battle. This was his first time watching from the ranks of starclan, unable to do anything.

And he hated just watching things go into play.

He never truly did understand starclan, until now. Now he knew how hard it was to be a dead cat walking.

His gaze turned towards the older she-cat. She wasn't from his clan. He knew that.

She wasn't from RiverClan like he was. She was from WindClan. Now they were all clan mates.

He took a deep breath, preparing the she-cat for the worse.

"SkyClan and ThunderClan." He reported to her.

"Such a shame, Lorismask," the she-cat addressed him.

Lorismask's ears perked to the right where she was.

His head dipped slightly.

This wouldn't have happened when he was an apprentice.

Why were things so different now?

When he was an apprentice, he wouldn't have to worry about their fights. It all started right before he became a warrior.

Something changed.

He wasn't sure what it was, but he was curious to find out what happened to make the clans tick and turn on each other.

There must be five clans, he thought. Right?

"It truly is, Basilstone. ThunderClan and SkyClan used to be more peaceful together than any other together. Such a shame. I wish I knew how to help." Lorismask meowed, flicking a stray leaf into the air with a paw.

Basilstone laid her gray tail on his shoulder in sympathy.

"Me too, Lorismask. StarClan is doing everything in our power to help the Clans, but it appears there's no hope—no end to this endless fighting of once good neighbors."

Lorismask glanced at the ground.

He curled his claws into the ground, digging a claw-shaped hole into it.

A sudden gasp from his WindClan friend made his neck crane to get a look at what she was gasping at.

Something was glimmering within the pool.

He gazed back into the pool.

His breath caught in his throat. It was a prophecy.

But what could it mean? He wondered as his eyes scanned the message.

It was...surprisingly not for ThunderClan. Instead, it was going to be delivered to ShadowClan of all Clans to be sending it to.

An important message, for the most shady Clans of them all. Lorismask noted.

He had nothing against ShadowClan. It was just the Clan was a bit odd. Though, he supposed it had to do with their leader....

Guess I shouldn't judge the prey before it comes out of it's prey hole, then.

He then gazed back at the prophecy.

Basilstone was gaping at it like a fish gaping for mercy at the paws of the warrior.

Soft, and giddy footsteps made its way to his ears as he turned around, still stunned at the prophecy that appeared to them in their pool.

A three moon old kit was bouncing in joy at them, curiosity flickering within her gaze.

She was bright yellow-brown with Amber eyes.

Her excitement was almost contagious as she approached them.

"Why are you looking in that pool, old cats!" She greets. There was not an ounce of disrespect in her gaze, but the words she used suggested otherwise.

Lorismask took a deep breath.

"Young ShadowClan Kit—" he began.

"My name is Buttercupkit! Now answer my question old ones!" The yellow-brown kit urged.

Lorismask rolled his eyes.

He then quoted what he saw within the puddle that showed them the battle.

"'The Stars will dim out, and connections will be lost. Only once thy enemy is defeated will they will come back. Beware those who simmer in the starlight. For they might be secretly within the shadows."

When he finished, he opened his eyes and the kit seemed afraid.

"What does that mean?" She asked.

Lorismask averted eye contact.

"I don't know, do you, Basilstone?" Lorismask questions.

Basilstone seemed to not know either, shaking her head.

"No. I do not. But we must—"

Buttercupkit had been staring into the pool herself.

She interrupted the wise she-cat.

"It is for my brother!!" She squealed.

"What?! No! That's impossible!" Basilstone exclaimed.

"Isn't he just an apprentice? He's not even a medicine cat apprentice. So...how are we going to do this? His clan probably won't believe him!" Lorismask exclaimed.

"I'll just tell the medicine cat." Basilstone decided.

But...was it your prophecy to deliver? It was in my pool. The young warrior thought, awkwardly watching the she-cat leave the territory of starclan to deliver the message.

She approached the medicine cat, Lionflower, and tried to get into his sleeping body to deliver the dream.

Ignorantly, Buttercupkit followed her, adamant to deliver it to her brother, Springpaw.

The young kit had died in their kit years, so it would make sense she would be ecstatic about him getting this prophecy, but cats like him usually don't get the message.

If it's him, then it's certainly bad times about to fall upon the clans.

He thought as Basilstone wasn't allowed into any other cats dreams.

She looked as if she was trying too hard to get it known.

She tried every cat except Springpaw.

By then, though, Buttercupkit had approached him, and walked straight into his dreams.

How will this nightmare end if we can't even get this prophecy to anyone but a warrior apprentice?

———

Author's Note: Holy StarClan this is a long Prologue to this story. Sorry. I just started to go and just wouldn't stop.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this prologue.

Let me know which you prefer: Basilstone or Lorismask.

And tell me what you think of Buttercupkit.

The first chapter will be out soon! Promise!

Anyways, these are the first three StarClan cats you will see. There will be others, but for now vote and comment and I will update this soon!