Chapter Twenty-Five: The Crossing of Swords

Start bij het begin

I opened my eyes again. Multiple shadows had fallen on our tent covering. I worried that the shadow daemons had found us, but this was someone else.

"Come out at once," said the gruff voice from outside the tent. 

This wasn't the shadow daemon. This was a man, but that didn't mean we were out of danger just yet. He sounded...familiar yet new.

"Come, Eldwyn," I said, holding onto the hilt of my sword. I came out of the tent and Eldwyn did the same. Surrounding us were five Stargonian soldiers and Captain Ral stood in the middle of them. Upon seeing me, they kneeled down and bowed their heads.

"Your grace," said Captain Ral, standing back up. His men do the same. "I apologize. We came across your tent and we thought that marauders were about."

"Not to worry, Captain Ral," I said. "It was an honest mistake."

Captain Ral then turned his attention to Eldwyn and his disposition changed. He stiffened into judgmental uncertainty. "And your relic? When I left he was being kept in the dungeon until the matter of his involvement was resolved—"

"And what have you discovered about the tower?" I asked, staring him squarely in the eye. I had to cut him off before he got too close to the truth.

Captain Ral's eyes turned back to me. "Not much I'm afraid...We climbed to the top of it and there was nothing to be found. We searched around to ask the forest dwellers for any answers, but there were none around. I've heard rumors that their villages move around to avoid discovery...would you know anything about that?" He looked at Eldwyn with the same scrupulousness he had shown earlier.

Eldwyn opened his mouth to speak, but I pressed my hand to his chest and stopped him.

"That is where we're heading now," I said abruptly. "To return him to his village. Then I am to return to my kingdom and move ahead with our plan for Cordath."

"Pardon me, High Prince," said Captain Ral, refusing to budge. "But why wasn't another knight charged with bringing the relic back to his home? This is no job for a prince."

"Well, Stargon's finest knight was preoccupied and I offered my services. Eldwyn knows and trusts me well enough to accompany him. He has done nothing wrong. Neither he nor his people are responsible for this tower."

Captain Ral took a step toward us. "That is yet to be determined. A prince shouldn't be wandering in the wilderness alone. I do apologize, but I must insist that we return you to Stargon Castle to sort this matter out."

"Captain Ral, that won't be happening."

A Stargonian knight reached out and grabbed Eldwyn by the arm and he pulled it back. The knights drew their swords and pointed them at him.

Captain Ral raised his hands, stopping everyone from acting. "Halt! Everyone! This does not have to escalate. You are the High Prince and I will not raise a sword to you, but you have acted out of order on this day. I am not new at this. I know that you have taken this relic without the permission of the Stargon court, but you have not passed the point of no return. Let us return and remedy this situation."

"You are correct in that, Captain Ral." I looked around for a way out of this. It had yet to come to me. "I have gone against the Stargon court, but it is up to us, Eldwyn and I."

"How do you mean?" asked Ral.

"Above the tower, in the clouds resides the Oblivion Witch. A wicked woman who promises death and destruction to our realm of Askeran."

"Oblivion Witch? That is a fairy tale."

"It's true," said Eldwyn, stepping forward. "Prince Darren has had visions of her. Please believe him. We're on our way to my village to learn how we can defeat her."

Captain Ral's expression turned blank and he remained quiet for what felt like an eternity. "High Prince Darren, has this Relic infected your mind?"

"No...he speaks the truth. As unbelievable as it might seem. There are magicks at work that we do not yet understand and we are here to vanquish the evil that threatens to plague our world."

"That is not reason enough. I'm sorry my lord, but the time for discussion is over. We have to take you back."

The knights moved in and I stepped back, stretching my arm out protectively in front of Eldwyn. They reached out to apprehend us and I drew my sword. Before I could retaliate, Eldwyn sent a gust of wind from his hands, throwing the knights next to Captain Ral crashing into the nearby trees with great clamor.

Captain Ral lunged forward and knocked Eldwyn, hitting him over the head with the hilt of his broadsword faster than I could react. Eldwyn fell to the ground unconscious. I wanted to lash out, but I needed to be smart about this. I moved away from Captain Ral to create distance. We were locked in battle, our swords pointed at one another as we circled each other. I knew that I was no match for the best knight in all the realm, but I wouldn't be led astray from my path.

"Please, High Prince," said Captain Ral. "I do not wish to cross swords with you. Come willingly and let's be done with this."

"I'm sorry, Captain Ral. I have the utmost respect for you. But if it's between you and my realm, I choose my realm!"

Brio neighed and kicked and broke free from the tied reins, galloping into the forest in fear. I wanted to chase after him, but I had a former ally to face. I lunged at Captain Ral, raising my sword above my head, and slashed down at his shoulder with fierce grace. I didn't want to kill him—I was certain that I wouldn't be able to. I just needed to hurt him enough to make our escape.

Captain Ral sidestepped it with ease and I missed him completely. Immediately after, I swung my sword at him, less gracefully, and he stepped back from it as if I was moving in slow motion.

"High Prince, please. I don't want to hurt you."

I screamed at him and slashed upwards, only grazing his gold chest plate. Then, he grabbed me by the collar and threw me to the ground like a rag doll. I landed on my shoulder and immediately kicked his legs, taking them out from under him. I got to my feet as he went down and I pointed my sword at his face.

"Let us leave. Trust me Captain Ral, I know what must be done. I would never betray my realm."

"I believe you have the best intentions, High Prince, but I can't let you do that." He hit his broadsword against my sword and the force of it nearly took me down. The metal rang out as he struck at me, one after the other. He wasn't attempting to injure me, just tire me out and it was working. I kept backing up until we locked swords. I used my back foot to leverage myself against his might, but I couldn't sustain it and he kicked me in my stomach, knocking the air out of my lungs and bringing me down. I didn't have any more fight in me, but I had to pull it from somewhere. I pushed myself up, but he kept me in place with a foot on my chest.

"I wished it hadn't come to this," he said this and he meant it. There was no pleasure in this. For a knight to take up his sword against a royal was a crime punishable by death. This went against his oath, but I hadn't left him with much choice.

I closed my eyes and grabbed his foot, trying in vain to pry it from my chest, but he was too heavy. I grunted and strained as I prepared to be knocked unconscious by a hit against the head. Then I felt a powerful gust of wind that knocked Captain Ral off of me and further into the forest.

"Come! Darren!" ordered Eldwyn, standing up and holding out one hand to me and the other to the portal he had made. I had never been so happy to see it.

I got up and ran towards it, and we jumped inside it together, leaving Captain Ral and his men behind.