Chapter 3

When the day ends I'm relieved. But I don't remember the bus number I'm supposed to be riding. Ugh this day is taking a turn for the worst.

I run to the parking lot to see if Nik's car is still here but sure enough it's gone.

"Lost?" Daniel asks.

"A little."

"Need a ride?" he laughs at my sheepish expression.

"Yes please." I tell him. "Thank you."

"No problem."

We're silent for a good 5 minutes before he breaks it.

"So where do you live?"

"2 house down from Nik."

"Oh how long have you lived there?"

"A week." I shrug my shoulders.

"What's the house number?" he asks me slowing to a red light. He's a nice driver; he stays within a good range of the speed limit.

"128."

"Oh." He doesn't look at me, and I feel as if I'm missing something here.

"Did you get the corner bed room? Mint green walls?" he asks.

"Um yes." I squint my eyes at him. How does he know this?

"My um, friend used to live there." He tells me. "I'm not like stalking you or anything."

"Okay." I end the conversation not wanting to pry.

He turns the radio on and an over played summer pop hit comes on. The singer belts out the chorus as he turns onto my road.

"Well here we are." I say.

"Can I come in?"

"My house?" my face pales. If he comes in my mother will have a hundred questions for him and me.

"No." I'm doing him a favor really.

"Why?" His face turns red, probably embarrassed for being rejected.

"Because I don't think you want to suffer through 20 questions with my Mom."

"I don't mind. I'm good with parents, Mom's in particular."

Oh.

"Fine c'mon." I open my door and wait for him to follow.
"Wait what's your last name?" he asks in a hushed tone as I push open my oak door.

"Fitzgerald." I tell him. "Come with me." I grab his hand and try to sneak him up the stairs as quietly as I can.

"Lace?" my mother's voice stops me at the top.

"Yes?"

"Who's with you?" she has her Mom voice in full force.

"My friend..." I turn to look over the rail down at her.

"Daniel this is my Mother. Mother this is Daniel." My face is so red I can feel the heat all the way down to my toes. I've never brought a boy home before. My first time and I'm already embarrassed.

"Hello Daniel. Will you be here long?" Oh my god.

"Mom!" I scold her.

"What? I was just wondering because your father is bringing home some colleagues for dinner. If your friend was staying I was just going to make sure to have enough food."

"Oh no Mrs. Fitzgerald I wasn't going to, but I wouldn't mind helping?"

"No Daniel you don't have to help." I squeeze his hand. Oh my gosh I'm still holding his hand. In front of my mother.