spencer's eyebrows furrowed. he knew it was scientifically impossible for the smokiness of burnt toast to not diffuse and fade away in the time that she was gone. but he didn't say anything.

"make yourself comfy. i'm gonna go change out of my work clothes because i'm uncomfortable." gracen said, quickly fleeing the scene.

gracen closed her bedroom door, locking it and exhaling through her mouth. my god, if spencer reid walked his ass into her room he would be running out the door.

her clothes were scattered messily around the floor, chairs, and on just about any inanimate object in the room. gracen grabbed her undergarments that were laying around and stuffed them into her laundry basket, along with some dirty clothing.

gracen stepped on something soft, and rubbery, immediately retracting with a shriek. she almost threw up then and there. gracen felt horrifyingly ashamed as she slowly picked up the used condom off the ground, making sure to only use her fingernails. she was really panicking now.

"hey! are you alright?" spencer asked through the other side of the door, and gracen saw the doorknob turn as his attempt of opening it. thank god she locked it. if spencer reid walked in seeing her holding a used condom right now she wouldn't know how to explain.

"i-i'm fine! there-there was a spider but i killed it." gracen said, running to her bathroom and dropping the disgusting piece of rubber into her trash can. she gagged fo herself as she gathered her pill bottles scattered on the bathroom counter and shoved them into the cabinet.

long story short, she was a mess and didn't want spencer to think she was an absolute pig.

"i didn't know you were afraid of spiders." spencer chuckled. "did you know, 72% of american citizens have a genuine phobia of arachnids?"

"thanks for enlightening me." gracen said sarcastically, pulling on a tight long sleeved thermal shirt and some black leggings. she opened the door, revealing a bored spencer leaning against the frame.

he looked her up and down, a hint of amusement in his eyes as he turned away. gracen wondered what went on his that brain of his. "what?"

"huh?" the man asked, but when she rolled her eyes, he replied with, "oh, i was just used to seeing you in office clothing."

"spencer, you've seen me twice in office clothing." the girl deadpanned.

"eidetic memory, remember?" spencer tapped twice on his temple.

"right." gracen mumbled. "what movie?"

spencer shrugged. "something off netflix, maybe?"

"sure." they both settled on the couch, sitting awkwardly about four inches away from the other. after bickering a little over whether to watch friends or the office, they finally settled on watching the good place instead.

gracen grabbed a blanket, draping it across both of their legs. "is this what they call netflix and chill?"

spencer looked at her weirdly. "what's that?"

she shrugged nonchalantly. "i saw it on the internet somewhere."

"sounds like it." he mumbled. they sat in silence, both focusing on the tv.

"ah! popcorn." gracen said, getting up and jogging to the kitchen. she was low key thankful for her realization because watching tv with spencer reid was awkward as hell. it was like the moments they spent together were either really nice and comfortable, or just downright uncomfortable. there literally was no in between. gracen figured it was the fact that the two literally had known each other for about a week.

"hey, can i use your bathroom?" spencer asked from the living area.

gracen stuck her head out see him, nodding. "it's in my room."

spencer reid got up, entering the girl's room. he paused and looked around, not surprised that it was pretty messy, like her desk. before spencer got the urge to snoop around any further, he stepped in her bathroom.

her bathroom looked like his, which wasn't surprising because they lived in the same building and most of the rooms were identical. spencer finished using the restroom and paused, squinting down at the mini trash can next to the toilet.

there was a condom in there. a used one, too. spencer bit back a gag and backed away. seemed like gracen did a little bit more dirty work than he thought she did. it didn't matter to spencer though, it wasn't his business to care anyways.

but spencer always did have a nosiness issue. maybe that's why he didn't have friends in high school.

he exited the bathroom, knowing one more detail about the girl, who was now laid comfortably on the couch, taking up the entire length of it while stuffing popcorn in her mouth.

"i'm back." spencer acknowledged his own presence. "and i see you didn't leave me any room."

gracen let out an evil chuckle, crumbs flying out of her mouth. spencer cringed. germs, gracen. germs.

"move please." spencer said, attempting to push her to the side so at least his butt would fit the couch.

the girl didn't budge, sticking her tongue out at him. was she twelve years old? because she acted like she was.

"gracen!" spencer whined, struggling in her grip for dominance of the couch. "stop acting like a child and let me sit!"

"this is my couch, spencer reid!" she kicked him in the jaw. "my rules!"

spencer grabbed the biceps of her arms, pinning her down underneath him. she giggled, laughing like she was having the time of her life, making spencer do the same. her happiness was really contagious, he realized.

but the laughter soon died down, replaced by something else. they looked into each other's eyes, tension rising along with redness rising in their cheeks.

spencer was close. real close. he shuddered when her minty breath tickled his jaw, and he smelled a hint of something else also—something gritty, like cigarette smoke.

his heart pounded in his chest as he slowly met her eyes. they held non-readable emotions, even for a profiler, like him.

if he leaned down 2.039 inches he could feel her lips on his. they could kiss—if he initiated it. but spencer reid didn't want to. he knew it wasn't right.

gracen could feel it as well. she knew that he could kiss her right now. part of her wanted him to—part of her didn't. it was simply just to early in their non-existent relationship. but my god, his lips looked so beautiful, plump and pink and—

spencer inhaled as he lifted himself off of her, readjusting his position so that he was sitting again. "n-not your couch technically, because your rent covers only 64% of the apartments expenses while tax money covers—"

"oh shut up." gracen rolled her eyes, sitting up with her legs crossed, still a blushing mess.

spencer not kissing her proved her theory correct. he wanted them to stay platonic.

it's only day two. platonic was fine with her.