Chapter Nine

The plane lands on the runway with a shudder. I look out the window and see nothing but concrete, buildings and other planes. Spain is nothing much now...

I glance over at Nick, who is deliberately facing straight without giving me any sort of attention. The pilot begins to make an announcement, however, I tune out and place my mind in my own little bubble. From here on, I have no idea what I'm going to do. My mother had a private residence in the countryside, which is probably where I will go. Perhaps her parents are nearby too...

The plane stops and everyone stands to get up. Nick remains in his seat, still staring straight. I deliberately clear my throat, however, he does not budge. I pinch him to try to get his attention and once again, there is no response.
"Um..." I say awkwardly. "Nick..."
Nick smirks to himself. I get more irritated.
"Get off the seat," I say more forcefully.
Nick shakes his head, still grinning to himself.
I roll my eyes and climb over him. He grabs hold of me and sits me on his lap.
"No!" I hiss. "Let go of me!"
"No," Nick chuckles.
I elbow him in the stomach. He soon lets go after that, groaning in pain. I rush into the stream of people lining up to get off the plane, who have no issues with me barging in. The line slowly inches forward, people letting me go through first. I nod as a thank you to everyone. I glance back at Nick, who is off his seat and only three people behind me. This only wants to make me get off this plane quicker...

I am now walking through the airport, bound by my luggage. I have absolutely no idea where to go, nor do I know where I'm going. I notice a large portion of people walking to my left. I decide to follow them and hopefully, I will get out of this chaos. The crowd leads me past several shops and food courts to large, glass doors that lead to the great outdoors. Thank goodness.

I walk outside and am hit by a wave of new people, new surroundings and new culture. I look around and notice people busily getting into taxies, which then leave the kerb and outside returns to a peaceful state. I look over to my left and notice Nick standing there, looking the other way. I quickly turn the other way and begin walking to my right. I look out for a seat and find an empty bench. I sit down and wait for a taxi, despite not knowing where to go, however, anywhere away from Nick is good.
"Hello!"
I jump to the other side of the seat. I look behind and a teenage boy with black hair, an olive complexion and a thick, Spanish accent is sitting at the other side. He is smiling at me, laughing.
"Oh..." I say whilst blushing. I laugh awkwardly. "Hello, I... er... didn't see you there!"
The boy laughs. "It's my specialty."
I laugh. "I can see where you're coming from."
He puts his hand out. "I'm Gabriel. Nice to meet you."
I gladly shake his hand. "Maria."
He smiles. "You Spanish?"
"Yes," I reply, which is partially true since my mother was Spanish.
I notice a taxi driving up the road. Gabriel hands me a slip of paper with a number on it.
I smile. "Thanks."
"No problem," Gabriel responds. "If you need something, then call me. Here."
Gabriel gives me a sim card for my phone. He then takes my luggage towards the kerb and calls for the taxi in Spanish. I stand up and pat Gabriel on the back.
"Thank you," I say sincerely. "I really appreciate it."
"You have money?" Gabriel queries.
I shake my head.
Gabriel rummages in his pocket and pulls out a wad of money. I gasp.
"Gabriel..."
However, Gabriel is too busy loading my luggage into the boot of the taxi.
"Thank you so much!"
Gabriel laughs. "I know who you are... Alexandra."
I glare at him. His accent is now perfectly American.
"Get in the taxi and do as I say, your father wants you home."
Now I recognise 'Gabriel.' It's Thomas, and he is one of my father's top undercover agents.

How could I not know?!

Without question, I get in the taxi. I move to the other side, getting as far away from Thomas as possible. Thomas slams the door and clips his seatbelt on; I don't bother with mine, I'm too frustrated. The taxi pulls away at a slow pace, beating the hoard of taxies behind. While looking out the front window shield, I notice Nick watching me. He is shaking his head, smirking at me.

Traitor.