Chapter 3

Ryn made us remain in the castle's dungeon. His reasoning was that my sudden appearance would cause quite a stir and we needed to wait on Mauve to set my return in motion with the staff and Seelie people. After the others argued the pros and cons of just marching upstairs, they'd settled down and broke off into smaller groups. Austin tended to Lilly and Gwen as they sat at a small table in the middle of the room. Allie and Curtis weren't too far away, and I heard my name mentioned several times. Allie was already talking about learning the kingdom's favorite dances for all the parties we'd be attending after tonight. I had no interest in parties, so I ignored them and stood off to myself, staring at the wooden door which led back to the cave.

Uncle Kalen's question from a few minutes ago was all I could think about. What if I failed miserably? Why did people think my lineage made me a good leader? I could barely stay out of trouble and take care of myself, much less an entire kingdom. I wasn't frilly princess material. I preferred the stink of a sweaty gym to parties and pleasantries. Aelfric made sure of that the day he signed my parents' death warrant.

My gaze zeroed in on the door handle and I wondered how many steps stood between me and freedom. The others wouldn't realize I escaped. Would they?

"Penny for your thoughts, Kitten?" Caden's voice halted my movement towards the cave door.

"Planning world domination." I wound a piece of hair tightly around my fingers. "You know. Just another day."

"Uh huh." He stopped my hair twirling before I lost more than a few strands. "More like planning to bolt."

"I would never!" My hand landed on my chest in a flair of dramatics and I added a little more of my southern twang to the words before my smile turned serious. "How did you know?"

"You were staring at the door like it was an answer to your prayers and I knew that brain of yours was working overtime." He tapped my forehead and pulled me in for a hug. I watched Bretton point to us and Ryn shake his head before turning his back on us. "Don't worry about them. Focus on you, Kitra."

"Shouldn't you be telling me I was made to be a princess?" My half joke fell flat as the doubt reared its ugly head again.

"I could. It's not that I don't believe you will or can be a great leader because I do. I know what you're capable of. I've seen how strong you are." His grip around me tightened and I drew in the scent of mint and fresh cotton with a sigh. "I just want you to believe it and no matter how many flattering words any of us throw your way, it won't work until you do. Right now, I'm content just to hold you and be someone you can rely on."

"What if I fail?" My voice was muffled by his chest, but I knew he heard it quiver.

"What if you don't?" He rested his chin on top of my head. I squeezed him harder. "Try it for now and if you still want to make a run for it, I'll lead the way. Just tell me when we're leaving." My lips stretched against his chest and I snuggled closer taking the comfort he gave.

"Deal." I'd learn how to be a princess even if my mind warned of the disaster waiting to happen, but it'd be on my own terms, downfall and all.

As heavy footsteps and lighter ones descended to the dungeon door, my grip around Caden tightened to the point I knew my fingertips left a mark. It wasn't that I didn't want to be reunited with my Aunt Mauve. I did with every fiber of my being. I just wasn't ready to start my deal with Caden at this exact moment. As the door opened and I heard my Uncle Kalen call her name I knew it was now or never and released my hold on my mercurial wolf.

I spun on my heels and my eyes drank in Aunt Mauve's features. Her blonde hair was piled on top of her head perfectly positioned around a medium-sized silver crown. My hands shook at the evidence of our royal heritage, and as I stared longer, I noticed the top of her crown was made with four translucent pink wings like those of a butterfly. Small red veins ran through the thin material, catching the light and refracted sparkles in her summery locks. She was dressed in a similar shade floor length gown with thin straps over her shoulders and it was covered in tiny wings matching her crown. She threw her slender arms around my Uncle while Dannick closed the door and faced us.