xvii. woods and packs

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter seventeen )
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter seventeen )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| They walked through the woods in silence for a bit, Lyla's hand still in Paul's as he led the way. She couldn't deny her head was spinning after everything that had been revealed to her, and she definitely understood why they couldn't tell anyone.

"I get what Bella meant now, when she said that knowing changes everything." Lyla broke the silence.

"Do you wish you didn't know? That I never told you?" Paul asked worriedly, keeping his gaze on the forest floor as they walked.

"No." Lyla answered, with little consideration. "It was killing me not knowing, not being able to understand."

"You know you can't tell anyone, right? Not even Jess." Paul stressed to her.

"That's what I don't get. Why? I mean, I get why everyone can't know, that would be a disaster. But why not Jess, I mean she's Jared's sister, why not Quil?" Lyla questioned, though her tone wasn't angry.

"Only people who have to know can know. We're allowed to tell our parents and stuff, but only if they get in the way of us playing our parts, or they see us shifting." Paul shrugged, simply. "Telling anyone else is just putting them at risk, just because we want them around. It's selfish."

"But why am I allowed to know?" She questioned again, noticing how Paul avoided eye contact by staring intensely ahead of them.

"I think that secret's best saved for another day..." He chuckled nervously.

"Maybe best." Lyla laughed, walking backwards in front of him so he was forced to look at her. "You tell me anything more groundbreaking than vampires and 'shapeshifters', then my head will explode."

Paul laughed at her dramatics, but couldn't be happier about how she was taking it.

"You're surprisingly calm about this. Kim ran away screaming when Jared broke it to her." Paul commented.

"Jared told Kim?" Lyla asked, pulling them both to a stop, before collecting herself and started walking again.

"Oh, um, yeah." Paul said, scratching his neck with the hand Lyla wasn't holding. "Let's just say, each of us has one person they can tell..."

"Right." Lyla nodded, deciding not to ask more about it after he'd already said to leave that part for another day.

"I know you and Jared have a history..." Paul started, but Lyla immediately jumped in.