xxv. a couple of hotheads

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter twenty five )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter twenty five )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla made Jake drop her home before he raced to Sam's to tell their alpha about the battle approaching. She knew there was no avoiding Paul finding out that she once again went to the Cullen's behind his back. The howls she heard erupting through the woods outside her window were enough to tell her a pack meeting had been called. Now, all there was for her to do was to wait for her next argument with Paul, she opened her window - as she did every time she got home, waiting for Paul to climb in. She sighed, the thought of them arguing practically bringing her pain - something she now knew to blame on the imprint bond.

Time wore on and Lyla decided to get ready for bed as she waited for the inevitable, changing from her clothes, brushing her teeth and hair, before sitting in front of her vanity and taking her make up off. She once again looked in her mirror at the bruising that stained her neck that was no longer expertly covered. She couldn't help the tears that sprung to her eyes, though, as always, she refused to let them fall. The seemingly ever-present threat of Victoria was one thing, but a whole army of vampires coming after Bella? Even someone as hard-nosed as Lyla struggled to deal with that. Who knew how many innocent people would become victims of this — how many already had. Lyla felt her anger at the Cullen's rise, they'd made this mess, and now her boys would have to risk their lives to clear it up, and as much as Lyla could understand that the Cullen's themselves weren't evil, tragedy and death seemed to follow them.

Lyla took a deep breath, composing herself. It was times like this that she would phone Jess and seek out comfort from her sweet-as-sugar best friend, but a new wave of pain cut into Lyla, as it did every time she remembered that she couldn't do that anymore. Then again, perhaps it was for the best, the last thing Lyla wanted to do was drag Jess into the danger they faced.

She slipped under the covers of her bed, allowing the cool sheets to envelope her, waiting for them to warm up around her. She'd almost drifted off when the sound of shuffling and feet hitting the ground beside her made her sit up, seeing Paul closing the window behind him.

Neither of them said anything for a while, but Lyla eventually broke the silence. She wanted to get this over with.

"You took longer than I thought." She sighed, pulling her sheets off of her and sitting on the side of her bed, ignoring how cold the room was due to the window allowing all the warmth to be sucked from the room.

"I couldn't shift back at first... I was too angry." Paul muttered angrily, hating how Lyla flinched at his tone.

"I'm sorry." Lyla whispered.