iii. gravity

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter three )
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter three )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| The following week held another development in the mystery of what had come over Sam Uley and Jared Cameron. That development being the addition of Paul Lahote to their 'cult'. The whispers spread like wildfire about the school, Paul Lahote, the once popular athlete and 'girl magnet', had disappeared for the first week back to school (and perhaps been off the map for even longer than that), before returning more toned and muscular, at least a foot taller, with cropped hair and a tattoo. Just like Jared. Just like Sam.

Suddenly Jared and Paul (who, despite being in the same grade, had never really spoken) were stuck together by the hip, they'd walk around together looking broody and intimidating, they'd sit together at lunch, normally talking in hushed voices, and then they'd leave together at the end of the day, disappearing to places unknown. Jess said that Jared was barely ever home anymore, sometimes not returning for days at a time. The boys both skipped school regularly and in the occasions they did show up, they were always late. People had started seeing them and Sam running around town, mainly staying near the forest and always dressed in just a pair of jean shorts, no top on even though it was below freezing and starved of sunshine where they lived.

"So Jared finally becomes friends with Paul, even though i've been begging him to for years so he can introduce me, but it's when he refuses to acknowledge my existence." Jess huffed as her and Lyla sat at their lunch table. "Just my luck."

"Well, it's their loss. If they want to be brooding druggies, let them, I want nothing to do with it." Lyla snapped.

"Woah, easy tiger, someone woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning." Jess commented.

It was true, Lyla was extremely moody: she woke up late due to staying up half the night wondering about Jared and the other two members of his brooding gang; she couldn't fix her car, something that her and Jared would always do together whenever the thing broke down - which was often; and her uncle hadn't bothered to clean any of his dirty dishes in about a week, leaving her a sink-full to do when she got home.

"Sorry, i'm just a bit stressed, I guess." Lyla sighed, but sent Jess a small smile.

"Tell me about it." Jess chuckled, life at home had been stressful for her too, her brother barely coming home from one night to the next and the tension gradually rising the more her parents pretended nothing was wrong. "My parents are driving me up the wall."

"Can't relate." Lyla joked. Jess was used to the girl's slightly morbid humour, though it made others uncomfortable and struggle to respond.