Chapter 2

2 weeks before.

August 18th

My room's cold. It doesn't feel like home. I hate that I actually miss that place. Never thought I'd admit it. Texas wasn't so bad though. It was warm, and Chicago isn't.

I've always wanted to have this "true seasonal weather" as they call it. I take It back now, and it's only August. I'm dreading this first day as well. My Dad just HAD to have another Editorial Business open, and in Chicago of all places. My Mom is an artist so she can take her job anywhere. It helps to be your own boss.

"Honey, make sure you're up." My Dad yells at me from the hallway outside my bedroom.

"Aye, aye Captain." I say sarcastically.

"I made waffles for you. Not pancakes." He bribes.

"Now I'm motivated." I grin and run towards the stairs almost knocking him over in the process.

"Better hurry up and eat only about 30 minutes to get ready now." He tells me.

I stop in front of the stairs. "30 minutes?" my face pales.

"Why so little of time?" I'm pissed.

"Well your Mother just found out the bus comes at 7:20." He frowns trying to hide his laugh.

"But school starts at 8! Why would the bus come 40 minutes early?"

"I don't know sweetheart, but don't waste your time talking to me."

"Go eat." He tries to walk me down the stairs but I run back up them.

"No time for waffles! I have to shower!" I shut the bathroom door with a loud thud and strip the clothes from my body so fast I'm pretty sure I have a burn on my back.

"Shit!" I yell noticing the time when I get back into my room.

"Curly hair SUCKS!" I yell to no one in particular.

If you have straight hair you should thank the Hair Gods for blessing you. Curly hair, while it's wet, is the only way to style it. Then when you leave the house thinking it looks good the wind and weather get involved.

Now I have huge poodle hair and some dirty tight jeans with an awful white food stain on. My shirt has lace on the sleeves and the rest is a solid dark blue. My makeup is not what I had planned for it to look like. It's just mascara and black eyeliner on my top lid. It's not too shabby compared to the rest of me.

"Running late huh?" Someone asks me as I'm scrubbing the white stain off my thigh.

"What? Me? Oh yeah just a little." I turn red the moment he smirks.

"Well if you were waiting for that bus you're about 30 seconds late." He points towards the yellow bus and sure enough it's gone.

"Ugh! I didn't eat my waffle for this?" Today is not my day.

"Do you go to TCH?" he asks me.

"Yeah today's my first day, and as you can see it's not going to happen since the damn bus left me." I check my phone and its only 7:15. Asshole bus.

"I could give you a ride? I go there too." He doesn't seem like a bad guy but I don't know him. How old is he? Is he gay? He looks gay. Oh please let him be gay so this isn't awkward.

"Uh..." I try to weigh my options. If I go with him and he kills me then he's done me a favor for the day. If I don't go then I've missed the first day of school and then I have to deal with my parents' wrath.

"Yeah actually that'd be nice." I smile at him as he opens the passenger door of his blue Audi.

"Thank you...?" I wait for his name.