Reuniting

Haley's POV

It's been almost a week since i've been reunited with my brother. For the most part it's really him, same eyes, hair, same voice, even smile. Something about him is off, I don't know exactly what or how to pinpoint it but he's different. Could the reason for that be because I haven't seen him in so long, or because Clayton has managed to get inside his head like he tried to do with me. Who knows what Stephen has been through. I know one thing, I'm going to get my old brother back.

I knocked lightly on his door. It's ten in the morning the time we usually go on our runs together. We usually meet at the door since he's the only one who can actually open it. When he didn't show I went upstairs up to his room. He opened the door and was confused at first then the realization hit him. 

"Ah shit, sorry Haley. I meant to tell you I can't go today. A group of us are going outside the compound today." He said. 

"It's all good. Am I too hopeful to ask if I can tag along?" I asked. Figured I'd try my luck, It took a while for Clayton to even allow me out of my room when I wanted let alone to the woods outside with Stephen. Going out into the world is pretty far fetched. 

"Maybe another time sis. You know how Dad is, so overprotective of his little girl" He said sarcastically.

"Well can you at least open the door so I can go on a run I don't want to skip a day i'm getting flabby" I joked. 

"Not alone, ask Vernon or Chase they can get out too. I'll see you later sis" He said as he closed the door in my face. I sure as hell am not going to ask Vernon to go on a run with me Chase is my best bet. 

Walking through this compound is like a maze. Once you think you've found your way theres another hallway or tunnel leading somewhere you had no idea existed. I do have one thing going for me though. I know Chase's scent and finding it wasn't as difficult as it used to be. In fact all my senses are a lot heightened since I've been here. I can use that to my advantage as soon as I come up with a good plan. 

I reached the door where Chase's scent was the strongest and knocked on the door. I heard a couple curse words and the sound of someone falling inside. "Chase you okay?" I asked him. Suddenly the door flung open revealing a shirtless Chase. "Oh okay" I whispered looking away. 

"What's up?" He asked. 

"Stephen is occupied and I wanna go on a run he said to ask you to come with me" I told him. 

"Yeah, yeah okay let me get dressed" He said and shut the door. After a moment the door opened again but this time it wasn't Chase it was another man with no shirt on giving me a nod and leaving. 

"Hey don't stop on my count I could have waited" I told Chase as he exited the room. 

"What him? Pssh a run will be more exercise than whatever that was" He said. 

I snorted as we walked to the door that lead to freedom Chase was getting ready to type the code in until he looked at me signaling me to look away. "Really?" I said rolling my eyes and turning away. "You know for a second I forgot I was actually trapped here against my will" 

"I'm just following orders Haley" He said. 

As we walked a far distance in the woods I turned to him. "Wanna race?"

"Nice try Haley, I'm not leaving your sneaky ass alone think again" He told me. 

I stopped dead in my tracks and looked him in the eye "Chase I struck a deal with my father that I would join him as long as he leaves the people I love and care about alone, you really think I would risk their lives by running away?"

"I'm just followin-"

"Orders! Yeah I know I just want a little bit of freedom" I said. 

There was a moment of silence before he spoke again "Fine where's the start and end" 

I closed my eyes and let out a breath of relief "Thank you" I whispered. 

***

"Run the whole perimeter and end right at this spot I go left you go right whoever gets here first wins" I said. 

"Alright on three we go 1....2....3!" he yelled as we sprinted in opposite directions. 

Running always gave me a sense of peace, I forget everything and just focus on putting on foot in front of the other. 

"Halfway point!!!"Chase yelled as he ran past me. I still have another half hour until finish these woods were larger than I thought. I was getting ready to sprint the rest of the way until I my face was plummeting to the woods ground.  

"Ah!" I said as I rolled on my back and looked up at my attacker. Long brown hair with a face full of anger towards me and eyes that looked just like her brothers. 

"Cora?"