Chapter Seventeen: A Dark Tale from the Past

Start from the beginning

Not only did I realize how that woman hated me, I found out she was cheating on my father with some old man who seemed to have given her more attention than my father. I was nine years old and I couldn't fully understand what I had just witnessed. That man wasn't my father. After that day, I confronted my mother and that's when my life spiraled down. I made the mistake of threatening her to tell my father she was cheating on him and not only that, confess to him that the woman he was married to was abusing me. She went berserk and started chasing me throughout the house with a knife. I had to lock myself in the bathroom, hiding in the bathtub until she calmed down or until my father came home. I don't know how long I stayed in the bathroom but when I came out, my father was just getting home. I raced downstairs and cried in his arms, explaining to him everything. 

The sad thing is, Mabel," she lifted her head and my hands flew to my mouth as I witnessed the few tears streaming down her cheeks from retelling her past, "my father had a hard time believing me. He saw a different version of his wife. He saw a loving, devoting wife not the insane woman who abuses his daughter. He was already entangled in her web that he couldn't believe the words I said. That was when I started hating the world and curse at the stars. The next few days, I should have seen it coming. Dolores was acting unusual. She was being nice to me - acting like a real mother. I was fooled by her illusion that I didn't see it coming. My father had came home and I was ready to watch a movie with him when the police suddenly barged in and began to yell at my father to lay down on the floor, pointing their rifles at him.

I began to cry and scream at them to not kill him. I didn't understand why they were handcuffing my father. All I could hear was my father telling me he loves me and promising he'll be back home soon. They were taking him away from me; my only solace. After I watched them taking my father away, Dolores began to laugh. His wife was laughing like a maniac! She began to laugh even more as I realized what I had done. She took my father away from me for telling him everything she has done. I was just a pawn to her game and there I was, alone in a house with the devil. That night brought more tears and pain that I had wished to die. A nine year old, can you believe it? A nine year old begged for death. Soon after that, my mother abandoned me and ran off to god knows where. I was left lying there in the living room, begging for death until Ace - my father's best friend - suddenly appeared inside the house. 

He took me away from that place and took care of me from then on. He took guardianship of me and I had to hear it from him that my father was sent to prison for murdering a man. I couldn't believe that my father could kill a man nor did Ace. I found out later on that Dolores devised this plan to send my father to prison and bribed the old man she was sleeping with and a few others to point their fingers at my father. It was too much evidence for my father's lawyer to help him out of it. I would have thought that my shitty life couldn't get any worse, Ace told me of my father's debt. My father had asked for money from Ace long before I was born - I think it was during his honeymoon years with Dolores. He wanted to own his own restaurant but he didn't have enough money to pay the lease so he asked Ace for a favor. Years later, that debt rose and when Ace was coming to ask for the money, my father was already taken to prison and Dolores took the money my father had saved up to pay Ace with her.

I had asked Ace why he continue to persist my father only to be told that he didn't want his gang to think he could be a push-over just because him and my father were best friends. He had a reputation to uphold. Ever since I discovered of my father's debt and Dolores's plan, I made a deal with Ace. I was too naïve and too devoted to my father that I didn't understand what I had just done. I made a deal to pay off my father's debt by servicing Ace until the debt is paid off only to keep my father safe during his time in prison. Ace agreed to that and waited for me to turn eighteen and start the payment. I never thought I would be put in the situation to be put in a cage and fight for my life. It's been six years and I'm still paying that debt. What a fairytale, huh?" Kat snorted, wiping her face with her hands before gripping her hair as she sighed, heavily. "You never expected that, did you?"