Chapter 17 ❧ Wipe Your Tears

Start from the beginning

From the door, I spot Juleka and Rose pointing at Lila and saying something to Miss Bustier. Out teacher says, "Lila, could I speak with you for a moment? There's some inaccuracy to your presentation."

I turn away, uninterested to see anymore. I try wiping the never-ending tears with my arm without exposing Grimm hidden in my hands.

"Hey," Adrien says gently. "Forget about what happened today."

My shoulder relax when he doesn't press for information from me. I never told him everything about my parents besides the fact that my mom and Emilie where close friends. I mumble between sniffles, hands fidgeting, "I think I want to go home."

Marinette, sensing my request for space, pulls Adrien away. Adrien acquiesces and say," I'll tell Miss Bustier for you."

I smile gratefully. Sure everyone might be able to connect by association to my Blood Bat persona and maybe even to Hawkmoth, but now that I think about it, I feel relieved. I'm sorry Adrien, I've always acted tough in front of you. But now, seeing you defend me, I've realised I was the one who needed you- as a protector- as a brother. My hands start to tremble as I feel Grimm shift under my hands.

Luka tentatively sits down beside me so, I look away. I feel a large gentle hand settle on top of mine and realise that it's Luka's. When I meet his sky blue gaze, he looks at me with resolve.

There are still my classmates near the door, talking in lowered tones. Without words, Grimm slides onto Luka's palm.

"What?" I croak as Luka continues to stare at me. "Do you like watching me cry?"

"No, I don't." Catching me by surprise, Luka wraps his arms around me, but I feel Grimms small weight as he slips onto my blouse pocket. His embrace is warm and gentle. It feels pleasant. "Let's get you home."

•●•●•●•●•

We slipped past Miss Bustier with the help of Rose and Juleka- but not without getting cocky grins and smirks.

"You're going to get into trouble," I say monotonously as we both walk to the Agreste mansion.

"I deserve it, don't you think?" Luka says half-heartedly but smiling.

I stop in my tracks and Luka follows suit- probably sensing the coming storm. I say weakly," Why didn't you tell me?"

His expression falls as he understand my question. "I met Master Shou when I was little during my mom's world tour back when she was a famous musician. One of the destinations was Singapore, so she brought me and Juleka along. She said something about making friends our age and we met Master Shou instead. I didn't understand the significance until this year- a week before we met."

Suddenly, I recall back my vision when my mother said she would introduce me to playmates. Did she know Mrs Couffaine then?

"Master Shou arrived at our doorstep. He ended up being good friends with my mom since apparently he enjoyed listening to her music."

I chuckle. "I didn't peg Master Shou as the type to listen to rock."

"Yeah. Then he asked for me then explained how he was missing a miraculous. After I took an oath to keep my lips sealed, he gave me a handbook that had information of his miraculous box especially on the bat kwami."

I shake head. "You're not answering my question. Why didn't you tell me."

He goes silent for a moment and then answers," I didn't tell you I knew Master Shou because you wouldn't trust me."

"No," I say, knowing that he's only beating around the bush. "I mean why didn't you tell me I was going to have to give up Grimm and instead helped me improve my relationship with him. You only ever gave me advice or a listening ear. You gave a false sense of security!" Just like that, I'm sobbing all over again.

"He's your family." Luka grimaces and keeps his eyes on the ground. "I couldn't tell you. I know what it's like to lose someone you love."

I'm left speechless- I couldn't bring myself to reply.

"I was going to fix it. I'd lie and tell Master Shou it was a mistake and that the miraculous wasn't with you."

"That wouldn't work," I say lamely, wiping away tears. Yet, I understand his intentions. It's strikingly similar to the way I want to bring back Emilie since Adrien shouldn't bear to lose someone he loves.

"I'm sorry," he says and reaches out. The next thing I know, he's stroking my hair. It feels gentle and soothing. It makes me cry even harder.

"I know," I say. "I-I can't seem to stop."

"Cry it all out as much as you need. I'll be here to wipe all your tears away." As promised, Luka wipes each one of them, strumming fingers rough against my cheeks.

All you've ever done was to protect me.

•●•●•●•●•

I've finally planned out the whole story all the way to the ending. Now everything is going to be as smooth as possible. As promised, the next update is on Wednesday.