Racing Towards the Goal

School had come to an end about an hour ago and Yugi and the others invited you to go with them to the arcade since it was Friday, but you had declined and gone back home instead. With the recent realization of your feelings for Joey, you wanted to distance yourself a bit for a little while so you didn't do something stupid or make a fool of yourself. You were sure if you gave it a few days you'd be able to forget everything and hang out with them again like normal. Hopefully they wouldn't think you were avoiding them or anything like that, even though that's basically what you were doing. You sighed, resting the book you were reading on your face and closing your eyes. This sucked. You would much rather be hanging out with your friends than lying here in your bed alone. They were probably having a lot of fun, and you were totally missing out. You supposed it wasn't too late to walk to the arcade and join them. Maybe it wouldn't be so awkward. All the games could distract you from whatever was on your mind. Just then you got a text on your phone, hearing the small ding come from your bedside table. Moving the book from your face, you reached over and picked up the smartphone, looking at the notification on your lock screen. It was a message from Tea. Unlocking your phone, you opened the texting app and read what she sent.

Hey ___(f/n), why didn't you want to come to the arcade today? Did it have anything to do with what I said at recess today?

Oh man. What were you supposed to say? Should you tell her the truth or come up with some other excuse? You could say you just had a lot of homework to get done or needed to study for a test. But would she believe that? No, Tea was your friend. You could talk to her about your problems and stuff that was bothering you.

Yeah, I just feel kinda anxious around Joey right now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. If you want to talk about it I'm all ears.

Thanks

No problem. Is there anything I can do to help?

Actually, I would like your advice on something....

Of course! What is it?

I thought about everything and I think you were right.... I like Joey.

That's great! So are you going to tell him then?

That's what I wanted your advice on. I'm not sure if I should or not. What if he doesn't feel the same? Would we still be able to be friends? I don't want to mess things up and not be able to hang out with you guys anymore.

___(f/n), you don't have to worry about any of that. I'm sure Joey likes you too. And even if he doesn't, he isn't the kind of person that would let it affect your friendship with him or any of us.

Really?

Yeah! So don't be scared to let him know how you feel and give it a shot! What's the worst that could happen? Besides, you'll never know for sure unless you take a chance!

If you think so... then I guess I'll give it a try. But when should I tell him?

Why don't you invite him out on a date tomorrow with just the two of you?

Alright, that sounds good. Thanks a lot Tea, I feel a lot better now! I've never really had anyone I could talk to about this sort of thing before.... You know, girl stuff.

No problem ___(f/n)! You can count on me anytime! Now why don't you come join us at the arcade? It'd be a lot more fun with you here!

Okay, I'll be there in ten minutes! Oh, and don't tell anybody about this! Okay?