[ eighteen ]

UNKNOWNsomewhere over europe

UNKNOWN
somewhere over europe

____________________________

CORTEZ

THE NEXT mourning, I had ventured from my quarters to find Natasha and Thor. We had all been called to the lab. I only briefly got sleep, a small amount that did not make up for how long I had gone without it.

One look at Natasha, and I knew she was feeling it too. All I wanted was to sleep for the rest of my life.

"Who called us?" I asked as I fell in line with them.

"I believe it was Dr. Banner." Thor replied. He was walking quickly and I could see how annoyed he was. I didn't blame him.

Natasha and I shared a look as we finally made it to the lab. As soon as I took my first step in, I felt the tension. The four men in the room looked beyond pissed and my steps faltered for only a minute.

The look that both Natasha and I received from Bruce was enough to kill us if it could. "Did you know about this?"

I wasn't quite sure what to say, because I didn't know what he was talking about. But by the tension in the room, I knew that things had gotten ugly. "You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" I asked.

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you." Natasha said.

"And you two have been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." Natasha said and cocked an eyebrow.

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy." Bruce said, "I'd like to know why Shield is using the tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

I locked eyes with Fury and he nodded. It was small and quick but it was there. "Because of him." I said, and pointed at Thor.

"Me?"

Everyone's eyes fell on me and I leaned against the desk. "Last year shit hit the fan in New Mexico. We had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. Dr. Banner, we learned that we weren't alone. And that we are embarrassingly lacking in weaponry."

"My people want nothing but leave with your planet." Thor said to me.

"Yes, apparently, since one of them is bringing an army here." I rolled my eyes. "You ain't the only one out there. What happens if someone bigger and badder comes knocking?"