[ five ]

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C.
america

____________________________

CORTEZ

I DIDN'T see Steve Rogers till the next day. I spent the rest of the day in a tired daze of snacking on chips and cuddling Whiskey; while smoking at least half a gram of old pot that my neighbor sold to me a month ago.

I think I passed out after midnight, and woke to the most annoying and obnoxious knocking on my door. Whiskey clearly didn't like it as she spent the few minutes I stumbled out of bed meowing in complaint.

"I know, Whiskey. Should I grab my gun to scare them away?" I asked the cat. It was a shame I couldn't get a response.

When I heard the loud knocking again I groaned loudly and yelled, "I'm coming, I'm coming."

My eyes narrowed when I finally arrived to the door of my apartment and pulled it open, only to see Steve.

"What do you want?"

"I don't exactly have a way to get to SHIELD."

"What time is it?" I asked and rubbed my tired eyes.

"Seven."

"AM? Jesus Christ." I said. "Why are you up so early?

"I slept for seventy years, Cortez. I'm not really tired."

I sighed. "I'm still mad at you. But you can come in. I'll talk you to the agency."

Steve smiled softly and walked into my apartment and I shut the door behind him. "What's that smell?"

"Uh." I hesitated; what would America's Golden boy think about his babysitter doing drugs? "It's just some weed. Needed to let off some stress from Boston and everything."

"What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. I'm going to get dressed. I'll be right back."

Steve was left alone in the living room while I went to my room.

"Whiskey, intruder alert. Intruder alert. And it's seven in the morning. I should have stayed in bed." I told the cat as I locked the door. She meowed and I crossed the room to rub behind her ears. "I think I'll just stay in here for the rest of my life. But we'd starve."

She meowed again.

"Alright, alright, I get it." I said and stood up. "Be a nice person. Help Steve out. Be a nice person, Stacy. I get it, Whiskey. Don't give me that look." I said.

I quickly grabbed a pair of black pants, the same style I often wore to work, along with a loose shirt and my jacket. I wasn't entirely sure what this day would bring, what with my new assignment and everything. I didn't even know if going to the agency was worth the effort. I'm supposed to be introducing him to the world around us, how was I to do that behind a desk?