➳ FIVE

见钟情
(yí jiàn zhōng qíng)
love at first sight

CALIFORNIA DESERT

LOUNGING INSIDE HIS LITTLE TRAILER, FOUR SHIFTED THROUGH SOME CARDS. Leave It to Beaver was playing on the TV as background noise while Seven stood across of him against the wall, asking him questions.

"Hey, what do you know about One?" he asked.

"He loves Wally the dog," Four replied, checking the time to see that Zero must be getting back by now with the pizza. "He's obsessed with this Beaver show. I think he's an orphan actually." He glanced at Seven. "We got a little bet on it if you want to put some money in."

"It's an interesting crew you got here, bro. How many missions you guys run?"

"Counting Florence?" Four handed him a card.

"Yeah."

Four shrugged. "One."

Seven's eyes snapped over to him. "One what?"

"Well, actually, no, there was this, like, mini-mission — so maybe one and a quarter. It was in Sicily. But Florence — absolute shit show. I mean, if I wasn't there, probably more than one of us dead."

"Hey, now — don't forget me," crooned a slightly accented voice that he grew fond of as Yvette entered his trailer with boxes of pizza in one hand.

Four grinned, spinning in his chair to face her as he corrected, "True — if neither Zero or I was there — more than one death."

Yvette smirked back at him, setting down the boxes before walking over to his open arms and settling herself on his lap.

Seven looked appalled at what Four just said. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Four shrugged, laying one of his palms over Yvette's knee as she draped her legs over the chair's arm. "I don't fuck around."

Yvette resisted the urge to make a retort to that.

"You realize I just buried myself in front of my family and friends?" Seven cried out.

"Yeah, One told us about that," she said, absentmindedly playing with Four's hoodie he'd pulled over his blond hair.

"Big military funeral," Four added. "Guns popping, flags. It's pretty cool — I mean, at my funeral there was five people there, and two of them left before the end."

Yvette snorted. "Your cousins were dicks."

Four hummed in agreement at that. "It is tough watching your mum cry at your grave."

"Yeah," Seven murmured.

"Anyway," Four said, changing the topic, pausing briefly when Yvette shifted on his lap to a more comfortable position. "This mission — I got a good feeling. I got a really, really good feeling about this mission."

Yvette grinned at Seven. "He said that in the last mission too."

Four playfully pinched her thigh and she yelped and shot him a glare to which he grinned rakishly at.

"How come you can't find this guy?" Seven asked, and the two turned to see him watching the small photo of Murat stuck to the wall.

"I don't know," Four mused. "One can usually find anyone, but he just can't seem to find him. He said Americans caught him a few years back."