➳ TWO

似水流年 
(sì shuǐ liúnián)
years flow away, just like a stream of water

FOUR MONTHS AGO
FLORENCE, ITALY

YVETTE WAS PERCHED ON THE ROOF, AWAITING FOR THE CHAOS TO TAKE PLACE. She nearly fell asleep as the sun beat down on her in a calming manner with the sound of civilian chatter down below when she heard the crackle of static in her earpiece.

"Six, where are you?" One asked through her earpiece, slightly panting — Yvette could tell they were now making a run out of the building. "Zero, do you copy? Where's the fucking car?"

"Calm down," she said, glancing down at her watch. "Six should be there in five, four, three — say hello to the green beauty. Like it? I picked it out myself."

"Zero, I love it," Yvette heard Two say, grunting in pain as she was hauled into the car by Five.

Yvette grinned, doing another quick scan of the bombs in her bag and making sure she had them all. "Wait a second — what happened with Two?"

     "She got shot — " Five started.

     "Holy shit," Six exclaimed as soon as he started to take off driving, the engine purring to life as the car roared down the streets of Florence. "Zero, she's bleeding on the seats — "

     "Go, go, go!" One interrupted as Six stepped hard on the gas.

     "We're going to need a hospital," Five breathed out.

     Yvette slung her bag across her shoulders, strapping it on securely as she rose to her feet and paced the roof. "There should be one a couple of blocks from here," she said, fingers dancing across the screen as she searched for a hospital. "If we can get there once all this shit is over with — I can find Five an empty operating room."

     "Perfect."

     "Two — check under the seats, there should be a little compartment there. I put in some extra ammunition."

     "Where did the guys come from?" Yvette heard Two ask One in her thick, French accent as she changed the magazine of her gun. "You said you were covering the door."

     "I was covering the door," One replied. "You were shot through a window."

     Yvette made a face. "Oh, ouch — I wouldn't have seen that coming either."

     "Such an amateur show," Two seethed through her teeth.

     "Oh, an amateur show?" One repeated heatedly.

     "Yeah!"

     "I know, you got shot through the window. God, that's so bad."

     "Six," Yvette said as One and Two continued to yell at each other. She pulled out another device from her pocket and stretched it apart to open it widely. "I have the car's location in my software, if you take a right two blocks down you'll find a shortcut away from civilians."

     She heard him follow her instructions and the pleasant squealing of the tires. "Thanks, Zero — I love you."

     "The point is we got this," One's voice came through again her earpiece once they stopped bickering. "That's all that matters."

    "Got what?" Yvette asked the same time Six questioned, "What's that?"

     "It — it's disturbing."