Chapter One

Andrew walked down the main street in their small town, Myrid. Myrid was a coastal town, towards the south located to the east of the Hun mountains. The mountains weren't the largest, but they certainly brought down some cold winters time and time again. With the coastline came trade routes. These trade routes helped strengthen the small town. Brought in plenty of income and goods, with the help of Andrew's father of course, Lonny.

Lonny was a stern man, in his early forties. Short kept brown hair, with a reddish tinted short beard and mustache to go with it. Andrew was a bit taller and thinner than his father as he was close to six feet himself, whereas his father was five seven with broad shoulders. He made sure Andrew knew his studies and was prepared to follow in his footsteps. There was no room for anything else, but Andrew didn't mind it. He actually liked doing things with his father. Although his father was a stern man, he was still his father. They got enjoyment out of doing trades together, and as Andrew got a little older, they could now stop and share a drink or two after a successful business transaction together.

The two of them traveled to this town when Andrew was about five years old. Myrid was struggling when they were passing through. His father had been a traveling merchant at the time. Something about the town caught his father's eye, probably the coastline and the possibilities of heavy trade routes opening up. Lonny quickly made a deal with the mayor to the town and started improving trade immediately. After a few years everything started taking off and the little town suddenly became more bountiful, and money was flowing through. The town quickly started looking up to Lonny and as time passed, they looked up to Andrew as well for following in his footsteps. It was clear that the town was destined for great things.

Walking down the street there was a cool morning breeze as it was still early. The sun was just starting to peek over the mountains. Andrew was accustomed to waking up early and getting a head start on the day. Most of the town was still sound asleep as he headed towards the mayor's house to start going through the books and records for the week. The only other people awake were his father, back at their shop, and the baker. He could smell the fresh bread as he started approaching the bakery and he popped his head in through the door.

A rush of warmth washed over him once inside. The fires in the ovens were going full blast heating up the shop. Dough could be seen nearby on racks starting to rise before they were baked. Flour was all over the counters and floors. The sweet smell of bread baking consumed his senses.

"Morning Andrew," Henry said. Henry was about thirty years old with red curly hair, beard to match and deep brown eyes that looked like chocolate. They stood out against his pale skin. He had a little girl about six who sometimes ran around the bakery that looked like his spitting image.

Andrew smiled at him, "Morning Henry."

"Will you take your usual?" Henry asked approaching the counter. He took his apron and started trying to wipe off some of the flour that was all over his hands and arms. It only slightly helped, but what could he do? Flour was bound to go everywhere, especially since he was going to be elbow deep in dough for the next several hours.

"How could I not? Walking by here always smells so good and my stomach instantly grumbles for me to stop." Andrew chuckled.

Henry smiled and nodded, "Hard to resist the temptation. Give me a moment and I will get it all together for you. I have a few new things I made last night. I am sure Gwen would be interested in trying them. Will you be seeing her later this afternoon?"

Andrew nodded. "Yes, of course. I have a special evening planned for her." It was hard to contain his excitement about this evening. This was going to be the evening he proposed to her. They had been dating for a year now, and he felt it was time to take things to the next step. He had been saving up his money and there was enough now to buy their own house and start their own little family together. Everything was coming together just right.