chapter seven

Eli wasn't one for drinking games, but he had to admit he was pretty damn good at this one. Not his fault their "DJ" kept picking easy songs. Though some might suggest he was cheating.

Their "DJ", Mitchell, scrolled through the Musetunes app on his phone. Meanwhile, a rather large huddle of his classmates pressed in around him. Each of them had a bottle of liquor clenched between freezing fingers.

Earlier, he'd escaped outside with the hopes there wouldn't be as many people out here. With the cold and heavy snow coating the ground, he'd thought it would deter the other kids from swarming him. Instead of having a semi-quiet time outside, he'd unintentionally led a bunch of them into the snow.

Maybe if they suffered long enough they'd head back inside.

Eli pushed back his dark gray beanie as Mitchell brightened. "Got it! Ready?"

The others talked him into playing a drinking game. It was rather simple in regards to drinking games—nothing more than an identify and win game—but Eli had a knack for it.

Again, not his fault Mitchell kept picking easy songs.

Mitchell held his phone and, screen carefully hidden, pressed play. The first three notes of Kamree Philip's "Dreams Ain't Nothin' but Heartbreaks," hit the open winter air.

Eli raised a brow and cast a glance at the four others playing the game. Felicity Matthews had her lips pressed as the swelling beats of the intro played. Hank Fairbanks stared at the ground. Tyanna Yan scrunched her eyebrows together. And, already considering himself at a loss, Ren Brodney took a swig.

Eli waited. The song had a long intro, but really the others should've had it by now. This song had been on the top 100 Musetunes charts for at least three weeks. And then they played it on the Hiit radio station for four.

"Oh!" Tyanna perked up, "Karmen, 'Low Down'."

Mitchell shook his head, and Tyanna pouted but took a long swig.

Eli waited.

"'Don't Tear my Heart?'" Hank Fairbanks guessed, "Havana Green?"

He had to resist the urge to laugh. Havana Green, his little brother Ian's mate, would never sing a song called Don't Tear My Heart. Besides, the only officially released song by Havana was on the album she'd been featured on for the Musetunes Festival last year. That song was called "Free Me."

Don't Tear My Heart...maybe he ought to be offended on Havana's behalf.

Eli looked at Felicity, but she just shook her head.

"Dreams Ain't Nothin' but Heartbreaks," Eli said, "Kamree Philips."

Mitchell gave a whoop. "Eli does it again!"