Chapter 12: Two worrywarts

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately for him his work did not sell. He was dirt poor. It was challenging to work with limited resources.

His social network was also lacking. It was difficult to sell when you do not have influential people backing you.

It was an unfair reality.

And so, he left it at that. He looked for other jobs that would pay well.

But now he was given chance to learn formally.

"No, he did not. He is a natural." Jared answered the question seeing as his nephew was silent.

"Right!" Daniel proudly smiled.

Jamie was given the schedule and was toured around the campus by the dean himself. By the time his first class was about to start, he was already lead inside the room.

Jared and Daniel were like two anxious parents standing along the hallway and peering on the small glass window of the door. It was the boy's first time in a few months to attend a class with other kids.

The previous incident traumatized them.

Even with Daniel's influence, the police had not yet solved the case.

Jared was not assured when the people who almost killed his nephew were not brought to justice.

The dean introduced him for the class. But before he left, he gave a few words to the boy.

"You might as well say goodbye to your uncles outside, boy. I could feel their stares at the back of my head."

Jamie hurried outside the door to shoo them away.

"Uncles go. I be alright. Class start now."

Two grown men held each other, one wiping an imaginary tear, the other clutching an imaginary chest pain.

Jamie couldn't help but laugh at the two drama queens.

"I will pick you up after school alright. Don't leave the campus." Jared reminded his nephew.

"Hmmm."

"If someone bullies you call me immediately okay? I'm going to iron those bullies for you." Daniel cracked his knuckles. 

Jamie felt touched by the two men. He was thankful that there were two adults that were wholeheartedly ready to protect the boy.

"Got. Bye bye."

He should go now. If he didn't the two overprotective men might stuff Jamie back into the car. With his light frame, they could easily do that. He hurried inside the classroom.

Jamie sat in the front. It was the only remaining seat that was unoccupied.

Girls were seated on both sides of his chair.

"Hi!"

The voice came from the one on the right. She was cute and on the plump side. Her hair was long and shiny. And Jamie could surmise that the girl had a bubbly personality.

"Hello!"

Clap! Clap!

"Alright, attention please. Welcome to the course Introduction to Fine Arts 1. Those who entered the wrong class, please leave."

Th female professor with dark thick rimmed spectacles placed her hands behind her back. She waited but nobody moved. Her eyes looked at the students sharply.

"I am Professor Jenny Laforteza, Doctor of Fine Arts in Art History. I am also a curator of the Provincial Museum."

The students gasped in awe.

"In this school we want you to have a basic understanding of the course you are about to enter. Introduction to Fine Arts is divided into three parts. Just like the past, present, and future, the first part will deal with an overview of the different media of fine arts, such as painting, photography, film, animation, illustration, sculpture, and others. This is to give you an idea of what to expect when you move to the second semester of the first year. That is the only time where you can start choosing your track."

"I will also handle the second part of the Introduction to Fine Arts. For the second part, you would be learning the history of the different media of Fine Arts. How it evolved to where it is now."

At the word history, there were many groans in the class.

"Well I assure you; you wouldn't sleep on it." The female professor smirked.

"The third part of the Introduction to Fine Arts is Essentials of Fine Arts. Another professor will handle it, unfortunately to you but fortunately for me.

"We meet only once a week for six hours. But you will be given tasks that are to be completed weekly."

The professor started handing out the course outline and the course requirements.

The subject course was packed.

They had to submit a product for the finals. The theme would be given right after midterms. This is to give them time to learn and to apply what they had learned. Their entire finals grade would depend on their work.

The professor handed them a task already.

Jamie checked his schedule. After the first class was lunch. His afternoon class would be finished at 4 PM.

"Hey, you going to the cafeteria?"

Jamie heard a girl beside him. She was the red-haired girl who sat to his left. She was taller than Jamie by a few centimeters.

"Yes."

"My name's Janine."

"Jamie. Nice meet you."

"Nice to meet you too." The red head smiled.

"Hey can I join you guys? I'm also new here."

She was the plump girl to his right. They were not able to get each other's names because of the professor's interruption.

"I'm Daphne."

"Jamie. Nice meet Daphne."

"Oh, you're so cute." The girl squealed.

"No. You pretty." Jamie's face flushed at the complement. Nobody called him cute before.

Jamie was right about the girl. She was bubbly and friendly too. She could talk to them about everything and anything. By the time they reached the cafeteria, Jamie and Janine already learned Daphne's life story.

The two girls were looking for seats. But Jamie stood rooted on his spot.

He was not ready for the various strong smells that assaulted his nose. It was horrible when they mixed. He covered his nose as he ran outside.

"Hey watch where you're going!"

Jamie was unable to see the person who pushed him. He stumbled face first on the ground.