Old Face

"I am so goddamn tired." You complained.

It had been days. You and Herobrine had been walking from town to town trying to find Steve, but with no luck. After the fifth town, you began to lose hope.

"Oh come on, we still have a couple more locations." Herobrine said.

You sat up and looked over at his map. Most of the marked areas were crossed off. There were only three left uncrossed. You looked at Herobrine incredulously. 

"How likely is it that he's in one of these places? All of them are pretty much in the middle of nowhere." You said.

"Do you have any better ideas?" Herobrine asked.

"No, but I have my doubts."

"It doesn't hurt to look. They aren't that far away anyways."

"Okay, fine."

He put the map back in his bag and sighed. As frustrated as you were, it helped to know you weren't the only one. You reached out and patted Herobrine's shoulder. He turned to you.

"I'm tired, too." He said.

"I can tell." You replied.

There was a moment of silence between you two. You smiled and went to get up, but Herobrine stopped you. He grabbed your hand and held it to him. You froze and stared at him.

"Y/n?" Herobrine said.

You were still. Your hand was pressed to his chest. You could feel his heart beat faster than normal.

"Yeah? What's up?" You asked.

His eyes flickered. He turned away from you for a moment. You waited for him to say something.

"It's nothing, sorry." He said.

His voice was dull and monotonous. It sent a wave of nostalgia through your body, reminding you of when you first met him. He let go of your hand and you wondered what he was hiding. You got up and went to the tent, but you couldn't remember what you wanted to do. You sat on your sleeping bag and stared at the unlit lantern on the ground. You felt a sense of hollowness for some reason.

Time ticked on. The sun dropped and you were laying down, trying to sleep. The lantern was glowing dimly, illuminating Herobrine's face next to you. He looked so peaceful when he slept. You wished you were able to sleep. You reached out and lightly touched his hand. It was warm.

You retracted your hand and sat up. You heard crickets chirp and a light breeze rustle the fabric of the tent. You stood up. Stretching, you decide to go for a walk to release your leftover energy.

You walk outside the tent, feeling the cool night air. You walked through the trees in a straight line, hoping you'd get tired before you got too far. Coming across a river, you dunked your hands in and drank. You sat down next to it, feeling the cool water settle in your stomach. You stared upwards at the sky. The stars winked at you and the moon was high above. It was peaceful and quiet. You yawned. You stood up again and walked back the way you came.

As you headed back to the tent, you heard a strange noise coming from somewhere in the forest. It almost sounded like a voice. You found yourself feeling intrigued, turning and walking towards the sound. As you got closer, the noise became more clear. It started to sound less like a voice and more like a mechanical hum.

You walked until you came to a clearing. You could hear the noise as if it was in front of you. It came from all angles, surrounding you. It kept fading in and fading out, as if it was moving.

"Hello?" You called.

You didn't know why you called out. As soon as you did, however, the noise got louder. It sounded beautiful, but it was terrifying. You swung your head around every which way, trying to figure out where it was coming from.