Steven, The First

You could hear the banging of hammers on nails as you approached the house. The well in the center of the marketplace was in terrible shape, but it still held water. You stepped up on the almost dilapidated porch, hearing the creaking of planks beneath you. Fumbling with the door knob, you cursed at your shaking hands. Finally getting it open, you step inside and take a deep breath of home.

Walking through the living room, you open the door to your bedroom. You immediately begin to stuff a bag you found with important items. Tools, gems, stone, wood, wool, food; anything you found important went into the bag. You wheezed from the exertion, your lungs begging you to take a break. You still hadn't fully recovered from the fire.

Grabbing warm clothes, you stuffed them into the already bulging bag. Sitting back and breathing heavily, you stared at the ceiling that seemed to go on forever. The spirals of wood teased your eyes and it felt like you were floating. You closed your eyes but the vision never disappeared.

You felt heavy.

Suddenly, you felt the floor give from under you. You fell down into a dark hole and landed on hard floor but never felt the impact. You shot up, lungs protesting. You reached for a sword but you were unarmed. You could see a chair made of bedrock in front of you, a strange figure sitting on it.

Its body seemed warped, but you could see its clothes. Aqua blue seemed striking against the pitch black of the walls. Its skin tone was sunkissed and its hair was like dark tree bark. Pants a deep navy and heavy work boots a cloudy grey, you analyzed every inch of whoever this was.
All but the face.

Its face was blurry. You could make out the outline of a beard, but anything above it was blurry and distorted. Its head was tilted up, and you knew that it was staring at you. You saw its warbled mouth open and sharp white teeth smiled at you. You can't see its eyes, but you could tell they glowed. A fine white mist protruded from its eyes; a long tail which looked like a ghost. You couldn't see its eye color but you didn't want to, its stare was enough to make you uncomfortable.

You felt frozen in place as the figure smiled menacingly at you. You stared back as long as you could but you wanted to look away. There was something behind those eyes, a raw power you could never hope to understand. You felt exposed in front of those eyes, as if they stripped you of skin, muscle, and bone. You felt cold and lonely, as if the figure in front of you wasn't even alive.

You suddenly felt the hair on your body stand on end as the figure stood up from its chair. You backed away from it, but you only hit a wall. It walked slowly towards you, smile never disappearing. You screamed but you couldn't make a sound, your mouth never opened and your teeth never unclenched. You could only stare back at those distorted eyes.

You could feel the figure approach, its looming shadow cloaking your form. You only stared back, feeling helpless. You could make out more details of its face. The dark hairs on its chin looked like cactus needles, and you could see freckles dotting most of the bottom half of its face. You could hear its breath.

It was all too real. Much too real.

There was something in your gut when you stared into its eyes. A familiar feeling. Not a good one, but a one you've known before. Its smile was new and uncomfortable but the eyes, even warped, were ever glowing.

"You're from the forest."

Its smile vanished.

You woke up, sweat soaking your sheets.

You clawed at your clothes until they came off, throwing them on the floor. Kicking off the thick blankets, you snatched up your bag and ruffled through it for extra clothes. Finding a spare shirt, you throw it on and fall back onto the bed, regretting it instantly. The sweat the soaked into the bedding squished under you and you shot back up immediately. Fortunately, none of the sweat stained your shirt. Unfortunately, you have to wash the sheets now.