Music box

Belle

The next day, I walked into the library and put my cape away. Grabbing the book cart, I started picking up books and placing them on the cart. After gathering all the books, I pushed the cart over to the shelves, putting them in their place.

"Belle," I heard Helen call. "Oh, there you are." Helen walked over to me as I put a book on a shelf. "Did you have any lucks with purchasing the books?"

"No, the owner isn't selling the books," I answered.

"Oh," Helen said as I put another book on the shelf. "Well, that's a shame. I figure you could persuade the owner, but I guess not. I will have to find another employee to help, considering you won't have employment."

I stopped and looked at Helen, furrowing my brows. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, I expect my employees to apply an effort, and you failed," Helen said.

"But I need this job," I told Helen.

Helen looked at me and smiled. "Fine, if you would like to keep your job, then I suggest you persuade the owner to sell the books," Helen informed me.

I furrowed my brows as Helen walked away. How will I persuade someone to sell me books, who refuses?

After my shift, I left the library, walking home. I entered the small house as I heard my dad coughing. I removed my cape and went into Dad's workshop as he sat there working on a music box. He covered his mouth as he coughed.

"Dad, you need a Doctor," I said.

"Honey, doctors are expensive, and without health insurance, we will sink in debt. I will be fine," Dad assured me as he coughed. "People will buy my music boxes."

I looked at my dad as he carved the wood, crafting a handmade music box. The music boxes weren't selling, and my job supported us. We couldn't afford doctors, and my dad needs one desperately.

I hated what I will do, but I had no choice.

*******
Damien

I spent the day wondering if Belle would return. It was nice to have human companionship even if it was one person. I waited, and Belle never came.

"Perhaps the girl was busy," Candlestick mentioned.

I ate in silence.

"The girl seems sweet," Featherduster added.

I sighed.

"You have faith, Beast. If you frightened the girl, she wouldn't return the next day," Teapot chimed.

I looked at the objects and furrowed my brows. "I understand what you're doing, but I don't deserve someone like Belle or anyone. Kendra was right, I deserve to live as a beast," I said, getting up from the table as the objects looked at me with sadness.

I went upstairs into a bedroom and looked at the glass container that held the rose. I watched a petal drift to the bottom of the case and furrowed my brows. When the last petal falls, I remain a beast.

I wonder if my family thinks of me.  That's doubtful. My family dislikes me, including my brothers. I went back to my bedroom and sat down on my bed. Loneliness is the worst feeling in the world. It consumes you and hardens your heart.

I watched the snowfall silently outside and decided to leave the house. It was night, and no one will see me. I pulled on a coat and made my way out as I traveled to town. I crept around, avoiding people until I came to a small house near the woods.