Chapter 1: Unmatchable

Unmatchable...unmatchable. That was all that was going through Sophie's head as she looked at the screen. Her first instinct was to call fitz, after all he was her cognate.

Fitz!!

Sophie! are you alright 

 I... I don't kn-know

That's all she was able to say before she passed out.

Sophie woke up to darkness. She was too tired to open her eyes. To tired to open her mouth. But she had a way to communicate without physically doing anything.

Fitz? 

I'm so glad you back!  What happened?

The sound of his voice in her head motivated her to open her eyes.

It took Sophie a minute to realize that she was in her bed at Havenfield. "What happened" she said. Grady was the first to speak. "You passed out at the match making office and we had to light leap you back to Havenfield. 

"Sophie! I'm so glad your ok!" Fitz said as Sophie slowly managed to turn her head to the other side of her bed to where Fitz was sitting beside her. 

"Well, we will leave you two to talk now" Edaline said. 

"So... I went to the matchmaker yesterday. And...and   They...they told me that I-I'm unmatchable."

 A slow tear rolled down her cheek. 

"Oh, Sophie." Fitz have her a comforting hug.

 "I totally understand if you don't want to be judged and you don't want to ruin your family name so" Sophie said before Fitz cut her off.                                                                                                                                                                      

"Sophie, do you want to know how I feel about all of this?" Fitz interrupted. Sophie paused. 

"I don't care. I want it to be you no matter what it takes. Oh and I brought you a present.

"Fitz you really don't have to do that"

 He hugged her and said "I know, but I love you." Sophie's heart fluttered. 

"Here" Fitz passed her two small boxes. Sophie opened one. It was teal jewels. 

"What are these?" Sophie asked. 

"You can attach them to your cognate rings to customize them. You hate them don't you."Fitz said with a frown.

"Of course not, I love them! They're perfect."

"Now open the other one" Fitz said excitedly.

Sophie gasped. "Where did you find chocolate-mint mallowmelt!

Fitz responded "I didn't. I made it for you."

"You are amazing" Sophie said. But it sounded more like "your ur amazungh" because her face was stuffed full of Mallowmelt.

Fitz laughed his beautiful laugh and Sophie giggled. 

"I take it things are going well" Edaline said.

"Aaah!!" They both screamed at the same time

"Oh sorry I should've knocked before I came in." Edaline apologized.

"Um Edaline, I was wondering. Could I take Sophie out on a date tonight?" Fitz asked. 

Sophie was completely shocked. The golden boy from a golden family that she had a super mega crush on for almost five years was asking her out. She felt like her face was on fire.

"Did I hear date!!" Grady said from the doorway.

Edaline glared at him. "Grady!! And yes Fitz you may just have her back by eight. 

"Yay! Thank you"Sophie squealed.

"But first Fitz and I need to have a little chat." Grady said, interrupting Sophie's happiness. She quickly mouthed Good luck as Grady led Fitz out of the room.