23: When He Finally Realized

Start from the beginning

No, it wasn't Meeran anymore, but because he had grieved over her for a long time...missed her, having her back had unconsciously made his heart try to reminisce those happy days again. He was unconsciously bonding with Meeran because of his past, and Maya had caught on to that.

His heartfelt shattered.

It was all his fault.

The heartbreaking look on Maya's face...it seemed even more shattering now. It was him who had betrayed.

"Demir," Meeran now softly took the coffee mug away from him.

"So I ask you again, why are you here?" She smiled, meeting his gaze.

Demir quickly stood up, rubbing his forehead in tension.

"I am here because I am an honest fool, Meeran," he confessed, feeling his heart grow so heavied and weighed. She eyed him with a confused look.

"Look, I messed up." He scratched the nape of his neck, turning slightly away from her. "Albeit, I unknowingly began trying to reminisce the old days. It really felt good to know that you were alive, but I meant what I had said. My new wife did manage to take over my heart," he confessed, ruffling his hair.

Meeran backed away with a pure emotion of hurt covering her face.

"You don't mean that," she tried denying. 

"But, I do," he insisted, turning back towards her. No matter what, now the only eyes that haunted him...rocketed him were of his new wife 'Maya'. His emotions had shifted a long time ago, and he had been such a big fool to not comprehend what exactly he was doing to her. 

"Meeran, I know I can't explain it," he continued. "but why didn't you tell me before that I was giving you mixed signals? Why did you let this carry-on?" his heart ached. Soul searching for reasons. He had to know.

"Because I thought you wanted the same." Her gaze fiercely met his, her pencil heels helping her meet his height. "I saw the way you were putting me first. I saw the way you were treating me...like you could see no one in this room. It gave me hope. You still haven't separated from me, and I know you have been forced to marry Maya, so adoring me again wouldn't be too hard for you," she justified.  

Demir didn't know what to say. This was all him...all what he had made Maya experience. No wonder she hid things from him. He had never been merciful regarding her feeling...never truly shown her that he was over his first wife. 

"I-I-" His entire presence seemed so heavily weighed by what he had just learned. He didn't know what to do. 

"And," she continued, ignoring the havoc and turmoil she had caused inside Demir. "The only reason I told you about the Skype call was that I wanted you to feel more annoyed with your wife," she confessed. 

Instantly raging anger and disbelief coursed through his veins. 

"You did that?" he spoke, hurt and anger underlining his tone. 

"Yes," she confidently nodded, not even caring about the damage she had done. "You did exactly what I thought. She left, didn't she?" she argued, making Demir want to harshly pull on the roots of his hair. 

Darn it!

This was a mess...a big and disastrous mess, and he had played such a huge part in it. 

"How could you do this to me, Meeran?" he nearly yelled, stomping closer to her. 

"I-I-" 

"You used my elated emotions...my simple happiness upon finding you alive. It was nothing else. Why didn't you get it? A lot of time has passed being away from each other, and you need to understand that the feelings have changed-"

"Changed?" She taunted with a sardonic laugh. "Was our bond really that easy to be replaced? You had promised me so much. Forever and always, remember," she threw words of the past back at him. "Did those words mean nothing?"